Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

matte black, yey or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 PM

matte black, yey or nay?

i have 96 formula that has some minor half covered up body damage, some scratches, and the ugly hood/front end, i always wanted to go pewter or sunset orange, but i'm leaning toward matte black now, dark tints, chrome side exits, i duno if it would look good or stupid.

i've never seen a clean matte black 4th gen, and i dont plan on keeping the car for more than 2 or 3 years. right now it's factory purple.

i'm thinking the 2 port ram air hood, i like the wing that came on formulas and if i do side exits i'm goin to keep the same back bumper

i'd like some input, and i havent painted a car since my first car 4 years ago, will a satin/matte black be easier than a gloss or candy, because i got drips in my candy green, but i had only done fenders and the such before that.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Matte paint jobs are actually more difficult to do than glossy ones. If you have imperfections in a gloss job, you can wet san and buff them out. In a matte job, you are stuck with them. You can't buff a matte finish. You are stuck with whatever dirt or runs are in the final coat.

All that being said, I like the matte/satin finishes. My 95 Z is going to be satin Polo green with a satin black hood scoop and hockey stripes.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM

thanks for the help, i figured i'd ask, because i'm really inexperienced painting, im goin to try a spare fender first.