Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

GM name for black paint?

Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 AM

GM name for black paint?

I was looking through the duplicolor scratch fixer upper stuff in the auto store yesterday and took a look in their catalog. There are no colors listed in there that describes black...anyone know the name of the color for 1999 gm black? any other good suggestions? the scratches look a little bit too hardcore to compound out.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:57 AM

Re: GM name for black paint?

I own a black '99 SS :0 Here's what I found;

On my window sticker, it just reads 'Exterior' 'Black'.

But on the 'Retail Buyers Order', the dealer has 'Black' "41U" (the code I suppose?)

I also reviewed the '99 Camaro brochure, but it just refers to the color as "black". And I have my manifest, but I don't know if that had any more info. on the paint.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:11 AM

thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 12:52 PM

Dont pay any attention to the name of the color, GM uses a 4 digit code usually, it will be on a sticker somewhere on the car, usually beside these letters: BC/CC (base coat/clear coat) You will need that number to cross reference anything. There are many different blacks even in the same year on different GM cars...
Old 10-12-2004, 07:43 PM

Where would the color code be on my 97 z28. I am having trouble locating it.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:18 PM

Check the glove box or the door jamb...
Old 10-13-2004, 12:15 AM

your code is located in your drivers door, five character number followed by bc/cc. in this case GM black, which is called Kalapana black will read U8555 bc/cc(basecoat/clearcoat)
Old 10-13-2004, 02:06 PM

thanks for your help guys...i found mine...kalapana black
Old 10-13-2004, 05:03 PM

Umm mines not on the door or my glovebox. I know what im looking for. Could it be anywhere else/ It is possible my door was damaged because it has some overspray on it and maybe it got taken off.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:07 AM

If that sticker is gone from you door jamb, I would guess the body shop removed it and did not put it back, your dealer parts counter can look up your car color number if you go there and give them your make and year model car....
Old 10-14-2004, 07:48 PM

Wait I thought it was Onyx Black ....like on gran tureismo...
Old 10-14-2004, 11:14 PM

U-8555 Onyx black. It has been the same from 1993-2002.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

Be VERY careful with this sort of thing. One time I had to get my rear fender of my '96 repainted. After I got it back from the shop, I noticed that it didn't match in the right angle of sunlight. The repainted section had a sort of dark brown hue to it. You had to look at it just right and in direct sunlight. I called the body shop and they thought I was out of my mind. The kept saying "There is no black that is blacker than black." I took it back to them and showed them and sure enough...they saw what I was talking about. They researched it, they found out that GM had something like 3 different black paint codes in 1996. They had to repaint it using the RIGHT code for my car. This was a pretty well known shop that did great work, but this one caught them off-guard. Bottom line, there IS a difference in paint codes. Make sure you not only use the right one for the year of your car, but the right one for the car itself.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:52 PM

If push comes to shove; you can go to an auto paint store and they should be able to shoot the car and find out the makeup.... Dont worry, its a gun that reads the paint's composite.... Very painless...
Old 10-24-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Be VERY careful with this sort of thing. One time I had to get my rear fender of my '96 repainted. After I got it back from the shop, I noticed that it didn't match in the right angle of sunlight. The repainted section had a sort of dark brown hue to it. You had to look at it just right and in direct sunlight. I called the body shop and they thought I was out of my mind. The kept saying "There is no black that is blacker than black." I took it back to them and showed them and sure enough...they saw what I was talking about. They researched it, they found out that GM had something like 3 different black paint codes in 1996. They had to repaint it using the RIGHT code for my car. This was a pretty well known shop that did great work, but this one caught them off-guard. Bottom line, there IS a difference in paint codes. Make sure you not only use the right one for the year of your car, but the right one for the car itself.
Very true, U-8555 is made up of a brown base and is basically very brown black LOL! Black can also be made with blue base as well and almost looks blue in some angles, Totyota uses this type of black. Camaro however used the same U-8555 for the entire 4th gen run, but it is always a good idea to have a paint jobber use the color matching gun to accurately match the paints decompensated value when making a repair or blending. Also it has been my experience that PPG CONCEPT 2010 Clear coat is a 99% match to the factory clear coat. Dupont and Starlite have the wrong pigment in them and are very yellow in appearance after they cure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM name for black paint?