New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

SMH bought a 1995 z28 Camaro for Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:56 PM

SMH bought a 1995 z28 Camaro for Cheap

So now that I got it, a month later it starts overheating. Got it for 1,500 so I mean I really can't argue but I want to know if I should just fix it or buy a new one. I took a very dumb decision buying it. It needs a new rear differential tranny is worn what mechanic told me. Engine is at 150,000 K Needs a paint job. I have money to fix though just need opinion on what's better buying a new one or fixing.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Re: SMH bought a 1995 z28 Camaro for Cheap

Auto or manual trans? Might be able to find a used replacement rear axle assembly at reasonable cost. No shortcut to low cost paint, unless you can do it yourself. Does the engine sound healthy? Burn oil? Surprisingly, 150K is not necessarily a death sentence for the LT1. Has the system been losing coolant? Cooling system probably needs a good flush, check the t'stat, water pump. Make sure the unique reverse-flow cooling system has been properly bled.

Have you scanned it for codes? There are codes for the auto trans (if that's what you have) that don't turn on the SES light. A full PCM data log of the engine under varying operating conditions can tell you a lot about it's health. Free data logging software download:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/
Old 03-04-2017, 11:54 PM

Engine is possibly the healthy one here, the tranny is a bit worn out, paint job I can get for free from my dad paints cars. yeah when it overheated one time it spilled all the coolant out the car so from there I haven't touched or driven it for a while I just start from time to time. Honestly it's fixable but I have no mechanic as of now, if only I did I would hop on it asap. Every time I start it I just starts rumbling bad
Old 03-04-2017, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Auto or manual trans? Might be able to find a used replacement rear axle assembly at reasonable cost. No shortcut to low cost paint, unless you can do it yourself. Does the engine sound healthy? Burn oil? Surprisingly, 150K is not necessarily a death sentence for the LT1. Has the system been losing coolant? Cooling system probably needs a good flush, check the t'stat, water pump. Make sure the unique reverse-flow cooling system has been properly bled.

Have you scanned it for codes? There are codes for the auto trans (if that's what you have) that don't turn on the SES light. A full PCM data log of the engine under varying operating conditions can tell you a lot about it's health. Free data logging software download:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/
I just replied forgot to quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Might want to check the spark plugs for signs of a blown head gasket, then a compression leakdown test.