New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

New Member needs help 69 Z/RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:33 AM

New Member needs help 69 Z/RS

Purchased my first car in 1974, it was a 69 Z-28/RS, Olympic Gold. Sold it 2 yrs later for $1300 when my Navy Recruiter told me I wouldn't want a car while serving in the Navy (bastard).

I've now located a very similar car and need to find out how to verify it's genuine. Based on the firewall tag, I believe it's an original Z (Z33 Code) What I can't seem to find a way to verify is if it with the RS option.

Info I have:

VIN - 124379N633562 (From photo of tag on firewall)

Original Shipping Info (obtained from VIN using Chevy Muscle Docs site):

Production Date: 4/24/69

Dealer Zone: #47

Dealer Code: #315

Dealer Name: Huffman Sales and Service

Dealer Location: Trivoli, IL

I have not yet seen the car in person but want to verify the VIN plate against the body stamp on the cowl. Really need to be sure it's an genuine Z and RS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob
Old 08-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Re: New Member needs help 69 Z/RS

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!

Sounds like a great find, assuming it's real.

I will caution you though, that we do not have a lot of 1st Gen owners on this site. As much as I would like to see you get a timely response, we can't guarantee it. Looks like the faster you get a meaningful response, the better. Don't want you to limit your search to this site, when it may take a while to get an answer.

Good luck!!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:07 PM

About the only way to tell if it is probably original would be to look at the inner fender for the large 3" hole for the RS arms to go through (easy to duplicate) or check the back up lights below the bumper to see if the holes are original looking ( a bit harder to duplicate as most just wack holes in the panel and screw the bezels on).

*found on another forum
Old 08-20-2015, 12:10 PM

More things to look for....

1. The first place I look at is the left front inner fender, as it should have 4 holes drilled for mounting the resevoir tank (where a normal car's washer bottle would be). Most non-rs cars did not get drilled in this area (although I have seen a non-RS with this, but it was a documented dealer replacement from 1974).

2. The washer bottle should also be mounted by three screws on the passenger side, vice the normal spot just behind the left headlight. A quickie conversion might not have a bottle at all, or the bracket in the wrong spot.

3. There should also be a 3/4 hole up and left of the main harness (on the firewall)- this is for the two hoses that go to the headlight switch); again, non-RS cars did not get this.

4. Finally, the last little detail is the through-hole for the reverse lamp harness (in the trunk). RS cars had the holes pre-stamped, so the hole should look like two pieces of sheetmetal next to each other, not like it was drilled out. Quite often, the stampings didn't line up properly, so you can see if it came that way.

If these are there, along with all the other small factors, it's a pretty good bet it's an RS. As a caveat, these cars are easy to fake, and there have been documented dealer conversions. Regardless, when an RS claim is combined with a Z or SS package, I scrutinize it even more.

Hope this helps!

*also from another forum.

It looks like the rs package will not be reflected in the vin number

Last edited by DelSoto; 08-20-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:21 PM

Welcome to the forum,

You can check here for a lot of good info:

Camaro Research Group

Camaro.net is also a good source for detailed info.

Just do your best to confirm what you can. There are many more of these cars today than were manufactured. As we restore my wife's 69 convertible, we find alot of interesting details on the various 1st gen forums.

Good Luck,

PJ
Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 PM

FYI he created an account, posted up his question, and never returned.