New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

New Member introduction/a bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:32 PM

New Member introduction/a bit of help

Hi

I'm new to the forums and to 4th gen Camaros too. I just picked up a 95 Z28 6 speed from the original owner with a service history. Pretty excited and really wishing it weren't winter. It has higher mileage, but it's obviously been well taken care of.

So here's my question (and I've searched the forums and haven't found an obvious answer), haven't driven it much, but when I got it the guy I bought it from mentioned that the temp sensor was bad and hence it wasn't getting a temp reading - he gave me a new sensor to put in and even offered to do it, but I said I'd take care of it.

I got around to putting the sensor in, filled the coolant I lost doing it, took it for a spin and the gauge when up to about 240 and leveled out. So, checked my coolant level, which was fine, the upper radiator hose has flow, so I'm assuming my thermostat is fine, bled the system and didn't really get any air bubbles - so I'm kinda stumped. Could it be that the new sensor is faulty? Has anyone ever had that happen? Or is there something else, more major that I should be checking? It seems to drive fine (no smoking, etc.) other than maybe needing a tune-up (stumbles a bit under a load at real low rpms).

Thanks!!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Re: New Member introduction/a bit of help

You can check the sensor, using Shoebox's procedure. He also has some good info on how the system operates:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

In any case, normal operating temp, with the stock 180-degF t'stat should be near the middle of the gauge (~210-degF) at idle. Should drop lower with air velocity through the radiator while cruising. Note that with stock programming, the fans come on at low speed at 226-degF, and high speed at 235-degF.

I'll copy this to the correct forum, since there isn't typically a lot of tech response in the "New Member Intro" forum.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Re: New Member introduction/a bit of help

Here's a link to the copy of this post on "LT1 Based Engine Tech".

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...t-help-881337/

I'll close this one, to avoid duplicate responses and confusion.