New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

My First Camaro and it's about time

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:14 AM

Cool My First Camaro and it's about time

I just recently became the owner of a 97 Camaro z28 30 YR Anniversary with the 1LE package. I am not 100% familiar with the 1LE package other then it was a modified suspension package and oil cooler. Any way, It has the 6MT, painted black with the gray cloth interior. Guy took pretty good care of the car and kept every receipt of everything done to it sense 2010 when he bought it.

I am new to the muscle car arena but not a noob at fixing cars, though not an expert either. I am going to spend a couple years and slowly build this car out to a 500 hp blacked out with red suspension components and red accented interior. Along with power I want to make this a show room quality car.

My biggest questions are what brands should I trust or more so NOT trust when it comes to performance parts?

Also, anyone in the Phoenix AZ area? Wouldn't mind getting some feedback on good shops and people to talk to about plans.

I am taking the car to, what seems like, a respectable shop to have it checked over. I took a risk and didn't do this when I bought the car so I am doing it now. I know it is going to need new struts as mine are squeaking.

I will stop blabbing now and head over to the suspension area for research and questions...
Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Re: My First Camaro and it's about time

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!!

Sounds like a great find. Here's a link to the 4th Gen FAQ, which will have info on the 1LE package:

4th Generation (1993 - Present)

Q: What's included in the 1LE performance package?

A: The package required these options (Z28/Formula, respectively):

Basic option group (FZAB/1SA)
A/C delete (until 1996 when A/C became standard)
6-speed transmission or performance rear axle with the automatic (GU5/G92)
Z-rated tires w/ 150 speedo (QLC/QLC)
Base stereo
and it consisted of:

Higher rate front springs (360 lbs/in for mid-1994 and after)
Variable rate rear springs (130-180 lbs/in for mid-1994 and after)
Stiffer front and rear shocks (Koni double adjustable for 1996 and after)
Harder bushings (front upper/lower and rear control arms)
Larger diameter anti-sway bars (32mm front, 21mm/19mm rear)
Increased cooling (for 1995 and after)
Engine oil cooler (1993 - 1995)
Stronger Transmission mount for 6 speed Transmission's
Stiffer Panhard-bar bushings

The 1993 1LE cars had the same springs and deCarbon shocks (but with much stiffer valving) as on the stock Z28s and Formulas. Initial 1994 1LE cars received the same set-up, but sometime during model year (between Dec 94 and Mar 95), the 1LEs received stiffer (higher/variable rate) springs and the shock valving was slightly reduced (but still considerably stiffer than the stock deCarbon valving). Due to the stiffer springs and modified valving, the 21mm rear sway bar was dropped in favor of the 19mm bar (which was the same as on the stock Z28s and Formulas). In 1996, the Koni double adjustable shocks became standard on the 1LE cars. Increased cooling on 1995 and after models was accomplished by the addition of an air conditioning radiator baffle even though no AC was available in 1995. Also, after 1995, in order to get the 1LE on the Firebird or Trans Am you had to order the WS6 package. According to the 1997 Pontiac brochure, the 1LE package could not be ordered with the automatic transmission.
As far as pointing to good and bad vendors, that's a tall order since there are so many types of parts to be covered. Ask in the specific tech forums for the particular part or parts you are looking for.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 PM

Cool on the 1LE car! Welcome to the LT1 fold.

Just to clarify you have a Z28 made during the 30th anniversary year but you don't have the anniversary model which was white with orange stripes and had the Z4C RPO code.

I'd bet your 1LE car was more rare than the Z4C model. I'd have to look.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:17 PM

1997 1LE Coupe:
35 made with M6 transmission
17 of those were black, the most common color
10 came with factory chrome wheels (not sure if yours did)

With almost 58,000 Camaro's made in 1997 I'd say yours is pretty rare. Some people would be very miffed if you changed the car any. Others say it's your car, do with it what you want. You have 1 of 35 (you could argue 1 of 17), I'd vote on keeping it original. Sell it in a few years and get a regular Z28 that you can do whatever you want to and no one would care.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:07 PM

Ya i hear what you're saying about the rarity and keeping original. I guess keeping it original would mean not modding the engine a bit ( headers, cai, etc)?

I have been thinking about just restoring it to show room condition as it is plenty fast and i dont drag race or anything....yet and rebuild a 240z with a v8 Drive line.

As for the wheels yes i have the chrome ones.

As for the 30 year. my seats have the 30 yr empression. What does that mean?

Ill add a pic to my garage.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Administrator

A 30th Anniversary logo was either stamped or sewn into the headrests of all 1997 models.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 AM

pix? Nice find! make us proved