New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

Love my Z28 but............

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:50 PM

Love my Z28 but............

Greetings folks, new member here. I have had my 1995 Z28 Convertible for about 20 months now. I have learned a few lessons about this car that I would like to share:

1. Always use high quality parts. Shortly after I got my car, the clutch went tango uniform. I was unemployed at the time, so I got a clutch at auto-shack. I had the car up on jack-stands in the garage for quite some time. The workmanship was flawless. 10 months later, the throw out bearing disintegrates and I have to get a new clutch.

2. GM is notorious for discontinuing stuff. My switch for the convertible top went out. No Biggie, I will just order another and fix. WRONG. I had to order a generic DPDT rocker switch, grab my dremel and modify the hole to put it in. Upside is that it works now and the switch is easily available.

3. Freescan9495 is your friend. If you do not have this scanner, you are doing yourself a disservice. This will really be helpful when you absolutely have to carry the car to the shop. Knowing that the other guy isn't blowing smoke is your best defense.

4. GM Engineering standards SUCK. Why would you run a brake master cylinder over your strut tower bolts (hex head mind you) and only give yourself 0.5" clearance? Better yet, what where you thinking putting the optispark directly UNDER the water pump.

5. Why am I using metric tools on a GM car? WTF

6. Putting high quality springs, shocks, and sway bars makes a HUGE difference. It means much more fun.

7. Who would have thought that burning tires in second gear could bring such a big smile to your face.

8. 2-year olds love to ride with the top down.

9. It is much easier to convince your wife to remove her car from the garage when your top is made of cloth.

10. Life is more fun with a mustang in the rear view mirror.

All in all, I love my car. I am looking forward to embracing the community. Sometimes my car gives me headaches, but when she is running smooth, there has been no funner thing in the world.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:35 PM

Re: Love my Z28 but............

im going to have to agree with you there no Funner feeling
Old 04-18-2015, 08:03 AM

Thank you for sharing. I just purchased my first Camaro. Wanted one for as long as I can remember. So I am new the "Owning a muscle car" and am looking for all the direction I can get. I will be posting my into here shortly.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Good to hear Tim, All the luck to you and your Camaro!!!
Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Agree on most counts. I have an LS1 car so some of them don't apply to me, and I have to disagree about metric. Every modern-day engineer worth his/her salt works in metric, and for good reason.