New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

Eric From Florence, Arizona

Old 05-21-2015, 07:59 PM

Hey everyone.. New user here- I'm Eric From Arizona

I haven't owned, worked on a 5.7 LT1 in a long time and im happy to have "stolen" this 95 with 40k original miles.

According to it's maintenance record and logged miles at those intervals this damn car never got driven.. Maybe 2K miles a year average last 10 years.

I've already torn into it - it came mostly stock with a header & exhaust system. and from the looks of it just a optima battery and CAI.

Not planning on doing much to it as it's going to be my new summer daily driver.

It had a leaky radiator - so I am replacing it, therm, hoses all together.

Usually I stay away from message boards - I tend to only come across them when I'm having trouble with something but I thought this would be a nice place to get familiar with anyways. It would be nice to meet some other chevy lovers and get opinions when needed.

I'm mostly a motorcyclist - but I saw this sitting in a empty parking lot with a price tag on it that I just couldn't resist..

Well thanks for having me and im looking forward to the future with this car. I may be in the market for some upgrades so i'll be viewing the parts section. Think I'll have to get a nice tb and a few other additives...

Happy cruising,

Eric

Name:  5UMyA3e.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  72.7 KB
Name:  v9iUqI5.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  85.9 KB
Name:  gK6e3U5.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  98.2 KB
Name:  m80XAo6.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  84.2 KB
Name:  rqp7FDb.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  113.5 KB
Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Re: Eric From Florence, Arizona

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!!!

Great find in a low mileage LT1. There are only a few of us left who truly appreciate the LT1. Good you have you on board.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!!!

Great find in a low mileage LT1. There are only a few of us left who truly appreciate the LT1. Good you have you on board.

Hey thanks bud!

After spending more time than it should of taken me to tackle these task's. I've actually come to realize how much I've missed working on my old Camaro.

I was almost worried it had a blown headgasket - but thought from my experience it was most likely related to some silly cooling issues.. ( My heater also didnt want to work).

The WP / Hoses / Radiator was coated with mineral deposits and what appeared to be some B.S. from a " Fix a leaky radiator crap kit " .. Completely marred most the hoses , radiator.

I got addicted right then, after it was buttoned up - radiator / tranny line nuts or whatever were leaking and I took care of that.

Sat there scratching my head like.. Well, I'm going to have to break into that motor now and make sure everything is in order there as well..

So what else do I want to do when I pull the motor ?

Well have a good one,

Eric
Old 05-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Consider dropping the engine out the bottom.... much easier. Without a lift, you just raise the nose of the car.

I would do a compression and leakdown test before assuming the engine needs to come out. Is there evidence of water in the oil? Are any of the spark plugs showing evidence of coolant leaking into the cylinders?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:51 PM

Consider dropping the engine out the bottom.... much easier. Without a lift, you just raise the nose of the car.

I would do a compression and leakdown test before assuming the engine needs to come out. Is there evidence of water in the oil? Are any of the spark plugs showing evidence of coolant leaking into the cylinders?
Hey thanks for taking the time to write back..

No and No - Fluids are new.

The pans are clean - as evidence to them being recently changed.

I didn't immediately believe that was going to be the end result of the issues the car had. But it was in my head " oh no " type of thing.

I don't have a lift- but never thought of getting the motor out that way - that's smart... Because the motor is in and back by that fire wall... - I figured I would want to take the nose apart and get it out that way.

I'm fortunate my neighbor is a (GM) master mechanic - I'll ask him about getting that done just to see where the motor is at.

And if i can get that motor out easily - time to do some research and stockpile some money aside - not trying to throw the works at the car -

But a throttle body, port , cam , pistons etc is worth doing soon if I can find the resource of finding one of these ol timers with a lift in there garage.. I live around alot of retiree hot rod enthusiasts with alot of money.. Wouldn't be hard to find one I dont think

Once again thanks,

Eric

btw- that 383 stroker build you have.. is insane.. props

Last edited by ecthemc; 05-25-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Administrator

The "factory" procedure for engine removal is out the bottom.

But you can get it out the top without pulling the nose off, just the hood. We did mine out the top, because I had a shop doing the engine build, and wanted them to tow the car to a storage unit so they didn't have to leave it outside in their parking lot. Out the bottom removes the K-member and front suspension.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:04 PM

The "factory" procedure for engine removal is out the bottom.

But you can get it out the top without pulling the nose off, just the hood. We did mine out the top, because I had a shop doing the engine build, and wanted them to tow the car to a storage unit so they didn't have to leave it outside in their parking lot. Out the bottom removes the K-member and front suspension.
How much time do you save by going out the bottom ?

When you mentioned the angle thing - were you referring to having the nose at a angle ? ( when taking it out the top) (e.g. front end up on jack stands back on tires ?)
Old 05-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Buddy of mine pulled his in three hours. By "raise the nose". it's exactly that. Block the rear wheels on both front and back of the tires. Hoist the front end. My buddy used a block and tackle from a beam in his garage, attaching it to his shock tower brace. Others have described using an engine lift to raise the nose. People with neither a garage beam or an engine lift jack the front of the car, blocking it with a tower of interlaced 2x4's under the subframe.

There is a "how to" thread:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...ctures-418445/

Name:  removal1.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  72.2 KB

Good thing is you can have the engine and trans, engine sitting on the K-member, wheels and tires intact, and roll the entire assembly anywhere you want it.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:48 PM

Clean car, digging the colour.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Great color. Cayenne red metallic, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: nope, Medium Patriot Red. Similar.

Have fun with your build!

Last edited by JakeRobb; 06-19-2015 at 07:00 AM.