New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

Another Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 PM

Another Z28

Here reading up and trying to find everything I am looking for to help my 17 year old son with the 1993 Z28 he just purchased.

The car has already been upgraded with 17" alloy rims but that is the only external mod. The car had a 2800 dollar 4l60 in it with a 3500rpm stall but it was purchased before we got it for the trans. We made the deal for the car with out that trans. The rest of the car has BBK coated headers 15960, 3" exhaust with cat delete, stage 2 jet chip, 160 deg thermostat and a K&N cold air intake.

The car was set up in 09 when the fuel pump went out and by squirting gas up the throttle body cranked for a few seconds every couple of months. The front seats have some wear but the interior looks good.

My son, me and my father pulled the gas tank out and found out it was eat up most likely to the ethanol gas that was left in it. All the hoses from and to the pump were gone internally with bad rust everywhere. We found two holes in the tank. Some of the first stuff we are ordering is a fuel tank. Second will be dropping the oil pan and doing a pickup tube. From the previous owner he said that oil pressure would drop on fast stops so that is most likely the problem. Third will be getting a new trans into the car.

I currently have on hand from a 91 pickup a 700r4 that is stock but working and trying to see the internal differences between the stock 5 plug for the trans on the car and the 4 prong plug on the 700r4. I have already ordered the correct tail shaft housing from ebay.

If it can be done externally I want to make a adapter harness so the cars original harness isn't butchered. I have read several threads here and else were on the subject but haven't decided fully yet. Some say two of the same wires have to be on one terminal. I may have to put a one way resistor on the line to make sure power won't back feed but first need to see what the circuits are and how they function because that may cause even more problems.

His goal later on is putting a 6 speed in the car. There is another car in the area with a blown engine but has a 6 speed. I am waiting to see if the owner is wanting to part with it or not and if so what price.

After the car is fully up and running I have to make sure it will pass smog in California. Right now we live in Louisiana but after he graduates he wants to move to California for school, etc. So I know a cat will be in order but will have to figure out location and how many for this model. I have seen where the chip is 50 state legal and it surprised the hell out of me seeing that the K&N intake CARB sticker was put under the hood. Since I have found the headers he has on this car from a JEG's receipt I need to find out if there are also California legal.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Re: Another Z28

Welcome what part of cali is he moving too ?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com! ! !

The replacement cat has to be CARB certified for use in CA. The 93 LT1 has a single cat, mounted at the end of the Y-pipe, right under the hump that sticks up into the passenger side floor.

Look on the service parts tag in the glove box for RPO code "YF5". That would indicate the presence of CA emissions certification.

To check for CARB legal parts (you may already have found this):

Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

If you go here, you can find a link to a free download of the 1993 factory manual - trans wiring diagrams are in there:

LINK: 4TH GEN SERVICE MANUALS - Firebird Nation

The only thing controlled by the 93 ECM is the converter lockup. But there is feedback to the ECM regarding which gear it is in.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by blac94Z
Welcome what part of cali is he moving too ?
Around the thousand oak area
Old 01-18-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Welcome to CamaroZ28.com! ! !

The replacement cat has to be CARB certified for use in CA. The 93 LT1 has a single cat, mounted at the end of the Y-pipe, right under the hump that sticks up into the passenger side floor.

Look on the service parts tag in the glove box for RPO code "YF5". That would indicate the presence of CA emissions certification.

To check for CARB legal parts (you may already have found this):

Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

If you go here, you can find a link to a free download of the 1993 factory manual - trans wiring diagrams are in there:

LINK: 4TH GEN SERVICE MANUALS - Firebird Nation

The only thing controlled by the 93 ECM is the converter lockup. But there is feedback to the ECM regarding which gear it is in.
Thanks for the links. I will check it out.

I just want to make sure it will work before bolting the trans in. Got to look at the gear to speedometer sensor to see if it's the correct type for that car as well. I leave for work tonight so I got three weeks when I get off work each night to research more and have parts ordered before I get back home. The gas tank will be in before I get back.

I also see since the exhaust and trans is off now is the best time to fix the oil pickup tube problem I think the car has. (pressure drop at hard stops)

Looking at that sticker in the glove box I didn't see that YF5 code.

20160118_134052 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

Here are shots of what the car looks like now.

20160118_134012 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160118_134037 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160118_134026 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr