New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

97 Z/28 in Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:43 PM

97 Z/28 in Austin, TX

Well I did it. Picked it up this morning. My first Camaro, my first hot rod. It has just shy of 140,000 miles and is all stock except for a cheap Pioneer head unit.

The T56 will get a skip shift eliminator installed (already have it) and the driver door window motor replaced (already have it) real soon. One of the headlights has had a rock bust the glass so that will need to be fixed too. Even the throttle body bypass hasn't been done but will. I replaced the stock shift **** (leather cover was worn) with a Hurst **** so I guess that was my first mod. I'll need to check the transmission mount when I get under there, it may need to be replaced.

I've enjoyed perusing this site for the last couple of weeks, gaining knowledge from all of you. I live outside of Austin so will be at a few car shows and stuff soon.

Back in the 90's before I moved from SoCal to TX I was looking to get a 91 or 92 IROC, I loved those things. That didn't happen and the move wasn't kind to me financially. I've since recovered. My wife gave me the approval and after I brought it home she sat in it with a beaming face. Many happy miles to come!

Name:  Camaro800_zps8d27bd6c.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  312.0 KB
Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Re: 97 Z/28 in Austin, TX

Very nice!! Congrats
I was just in Austin last weekend
Old 09-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up Re: 97 Z/28 in Austin, TX

Nice I also just got my first fast car haven't anything yet to speed it up but in a month or so gonna have to put it up for winter Michigan doesn't like Camaros on the snow and ice but looking forward to seeing what I can do later
Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Eww, putting things up for the winter. I'm glad my motorcycles and cars get driven all year round.

Thanks guys. My wife and I went for a short ride yesterday for the first time, we both enjoyed it.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator

I really like the 97's with the 30th package.... and that looks like a very clean example. Have you seen them with the white painted wheels? This belongs to a friend of mine, unfortunately I couldn't find a pic with the hood closed.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Yes, Fred, most of the 30th's came with white wheels. Only a small percentage came with chrome (only 225 of the 1500 M6 cars came with 'em).

I added the skip shift eliminator today and changed out the two piece trans mount for a normal one piece. Who knows how long the old one had been broken like that. It's nice to have it firm and not have the shifter move around while accelerating.

While I was under there I noticed some trans fluid has leaked out. It appears as though nothing has ever been tampered with so will be changing the fluid soon and making sure it's at the proper level. Sticker says Dex III but I'm going to try Pennzoil Synchromesh. Also saw the fuel filter looked original. Sheesh. Some neglect going on but not real bad.

I'm off Tuesday so another trip to the parts store to get a fuel filter and cleaner for the MAF. The car is throwing 3 codes: P0300, P0441 and P0123. I have some work to do.

The other night I attempted to remove the driver door window motor but that ended in frustration. I got to the rivets and tried to drill them out without success. Ticked I just buttoned it all back up and will try it again some other time. Window is up, won't move. Grrrr.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Administrator

T56 FAQ from Tremec website:

Q: What type of fluid does TREMEC recommended?

A: For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends GM Synchromesh™ (GM Part # 12345349). For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF.

Q: Why use automatic transmission fluid in a manual gearbox?

A: Automatic transmission fluids provide the necessary protection and lubrication, while still allowing the synchronizer to function at its best. My original T56 was operated only with the

Q: Why not use a synthetic fluid?

A: Some brands of synthetic fluid contain powerful detergents and additives that can prove harmful to your transmission's synchronizers. While many synthetic fluids perform very well, in most cases, we do not recommend their use. Furthermore, they may void your warranty. For peace of mind, remember that TREMEC conducts all of its OEM validation testing using conventional fluids without issue.

Q: Why not use gear oil in one of your transmissions?

A: A hypoid gear oil by design does not allow mechanical surfaces to make contact with one another. A synchronizer relies on friction (much like your car's brakes) to do its job. Thus, gear oil in a synchronized transmission can be a bad combination, potentially causing a variety of shift quality issues. Furthermore, many gear oils contain sulfur additives that can damage friction materials.
I loaned a spare T56 to a buddy who was checking to see if his T56 output shaft was possibly causing vibrations. He filled it with some sort of Honda ATF that was supposed to be the end-all for the T56. After he brought it back, it required a rebuild.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-15-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I loaned a spare T56 to a buddy who was checking to see if his T56 output shaft was possibly causing vibrations. He filled it with some sort of Honda ATF that was supposed to be the end-all for the T56. After he brought it back, it required a rebuild.
Ouch. I've read on here and another forum where folks have used anything from ATF to Synchromesh to synthetics. Some I will not use. I've read where folks have had good results with synchromesh as using the stock ATF gives the tranny feel of a box of rocks. Maybe that's normal and should be expected. I just got the car and will be doing some more research. Dex VI has been used too but I believe it's synthetic. I may just go with Dex III until I get the tranny rebuilt. It's not a race car and won't be, it's a fun car to take to shows and day trips with the wife. Never hurts using the recommended fluids.

Now I did experience a vibration once I got up above 90mph and felt it was coming from the transmission. It might be low on fluid so until I can check that I will not be driving it much and definitely not hard. The clutch may need to be replaced too. I have a feeling none of them have been serviced ever by the previous owners.

Speaking of tranny's, I know you can get a flush with an automatic but does a manual require the same? Or is it just the less than 4 quarts of fluid and that's it? I'll have to do more research. Want to do it right, don't want the thing to fail on me out on the road.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.