New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Ma emissions laws?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Ma emissions laws?

I'm trying to look up what are the laws in Massachusetts regarding emissions and what years of cars are applicable. I'm going to look at a '92 Z28 that doesn't have Cats, and thus won't pass emissions. The current owner said that in October the law will change so that '95 and older cars will only be required to pass safety and not emissions. DOes anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM

Anyone?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 PM

I have heard from many mechanics that 95 and older will not be required to pass emissions come this october.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM

The contract with the dyno company runs out and will not be renewed, so Oct is when the OBD1 will go away from what I hear.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM

So on October 1st this takes effect? If I do go ahead and buy the '92 Z28, at least I'll only have to wait a month to register it.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:05 PM

i have heard several things about this but i haven't heard this from the registry i am a mass inspector worse case just bolt in a converter get it to pass then take it back out

go figure!!! i need a sticker on my 85 iroc now (needs dyno)
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM

I just had my car inspected a few days ago and I asked the guy. He said nothings 100% yet, but in October possibly.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ttop1986
I just had my car inspected a few days ago and I asked the guy. He said nothings 100% yet, but in October possibly.
See, this is my problem. If I go ahead and buy the car, and this legislation doesn't take effect, the car won't pass since it doesn't have Cats. This sucks.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM

i heard it is going into affect in october but the catch is if you get a rejection even after it goes into affect you will still need to pass an emissions test so just hold onto the car for a while and you should be all set
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by chevynutman
i heard it is going into affect in october but the catch is if you get a rejection even after it goes into affect you will still need to pass an emissions test so just hold onto the car for a while and you should be all set
Wait, I'm not following you. So if I buy the car and have it inspected before October and it fails emissions, I will then need to get it to pass emissions inspections even after October?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 AM

yes! you will have to conform to rules for mass emissions if you get the sticker before it changes

just like last time they changed it from 15 years old didn't need emissions test to 83' and older
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM

latest update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buy the car if it does not have cats put a hollowed one on and get a sticker

i just got my 85 iroc inspected it did need emissions but i just found out as of 9/1/2008 you are not required to get emissions test on 95 and older just ask the place you go if they have done any that called for it yet

i was told that all stations stopped at the same time they just set the official date for 10/1/208
Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM

WHat does a hollowed Cat do to make it pass emissions? I'll ask the tech when I get my '02 inspected in the next day or so and see what he says.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 AM

IT WILL NOT PASS EMISSIONS WITH HOLLOWED CATS!!!!!!!!!

if you get a car 95 and older that doesn't require obd-2 test with the new thing they just passed where you do not need a dyno you can take cat off but you need a hollowed one in place so if the person who is inspecting it looks under there they need to see a cat or they can fail it for visual

even when your car gets a safety only test the inspection computer prompts the inspector to do a visual over and under car when they jack it up to check your front end they look under to check if all nessasary equipment is present

if you know the person how is doing sticker they car say if is there

to eliminate cats in your 02 you need to by-pass o2 sensors and trick your computer to thinking they are still there and working properly to keep check engine light out to get it to pass obd-2 test

if you don't know the one that's doing your sticker DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO HIM ABOUT HAVING HOLLOWED CATS -HE WILL GIVE YOU A HARD TIME WITH YOUR STICKER

Last edited by chevynutman; 09-05-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: FORGOT WORDS
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by chevynutman
IT WILL NOT PASS EMISSIONS WITH HOLLOWED CATS!!!!!!!!!

if you get a car 95 and older that doesn't require obd-2 test with the new thing they just passed where you do not need a dyno you can take cat off but you need a hollowed one in place so if the person who is inspecting it looks under there they need to see a cat or they can fail it for visual

even when your car gets a safety only test the inspection computer prompts the inspector to do a visual over and under car when they jack it up to check your front end they look under to check if all nessasary equipment is present

if you know the person how is doing sticker they car say if is there

to eliminate cats in your 02 you need to by-pass o2 sensors and trick your computer to thinking they are still there and working properly to keep check engine light out to get it to pass obd-2 test

if you don't know the one that's doing your sticker DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO HIM ABOUT HAVING HOLLOWED CATS -HE WILL GIVE YOU A HARD TIME WITH YOUR STICKER
Ok thanks alot. So I will have to have the hollowed cats either way just to pass the visual inspection? DOes anyone know anyone in the North Shore or South Shore who will let it slide?

Quick Reply: Ma emissions laws?