New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

MA Bill to ban after market exhaust systems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 AM

MA Bill to ban after market exhaust systems?

Found this on another Board.

I have had my borla since '96, does this mean I would have to replace? What are the implications to existing vehicle owners?

Massachusetts Reintroduces Bill to Ban the Use/Sale of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

A bill (H.B. 952) to ban the “use and sale of any exhaust pipe that increases the sound emission of any vehicle including motorcycles” has been reintroduced in the Massachusetts State Legislature by Representative Theodore Speliotis (Theodore.Speliotis@mahouse.gov). An identical bill was introduced in 2009 by the same sponsor and was set aside for study without any committee consideration.

We Urge You to Contact the Members of the Joint Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 952

H.B. 952 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.
H.B. 952 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.
H.B. 952 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
H.B. 952 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=86817
Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Re: MA Bill to ban after market exhaust systems?

wtf if this gets passed I'm getting my name on the electric bill of my parents cottage in NH and registering to vote up there so I can register my vehicle in NH. mass keeps gettin gayer and gayer
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

I just called these guys and urged them to vote no, wayyy quicker than writing emails ->
Senator Thomas M. McGee - Senate Chair
Phone: 617/722-1350
Email: Thomas.McGee@masenate.gov
Senator Jennifer L. Flanagan - Senate Vice Chair
Phone: 617/722-1230
Email: Jennifer.Flanagan@masenate.gov
Representative William M. Straus - House Chair
Phone: 617/722-2400
Email: William.Straus@mahouse.gov
Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by zzoomin
I just called these guys and urged them to vote no, wayyy quicker than writing emails ->
Senator Thomas M. McGee - Senate Chair
Phone: 617/722-1350
Email: Thomas.McGee@masenate.gov
Senator Jennifer L. Flanagan - Senate Vice Chair
Phone: 617/722-1230
Email: Jennifer.Flanagan@masenate.gov
Representative William M. Straus - House Chair
Phone: 617/722-2400
Email: William.Straus@mahouse.gov
Did you ask to speak to them directly? if so, did they seem responsive? or did you just leave a msg w/ their clerk?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by JeffsWorld
Did you ask to speak to them directly? if so, did they seem responsive? or did you just leave a msg w/ their clerk?
I just talked to receptionists and told them I wanted to urge the senator(s) to vote no on HB 952. they were all very friendly and would jot down my name & address. piece of cake