New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

In Dedham, MA Need a little help with t-56 conversion. anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 PM

Thumbs up In Dedham, MA Need a little help with t-56 conversion. anyone?

If I could pay a few dollars or somthing to somone who could help me get this thing in right and not F**KED up I would love it. let me know. I have a few parts and things here and there I could trade or somthing. just thinking because I need this car on the road and done right without set backs I am good but have never done it before so everythign is a learning process. Let me know krmass25@verizon.net
Old 06-21-2007, 06:42 PM

what are you converting it from? automatic?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 PM

yah converting from auto to manual and I just dont know how to get the clutch working with the throw right. I am worried I might scratch my head at it and put it together too tight or somthing.. I dont know. I might try once the parts get ehre in the mail and if I suck then I will recruit. I can do a lot but a mcleod dual friction... ugh
Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

If I had a clue I would help but I simply do not know... My car went from a six speed to an automatic but a buddy of mine did the work. he was a lifetime mechanic and said it was a piece of cake but that going the other way would be more difficult.

Do you have the automatic pedal assembly still? I still have the old clutch pedal swinging freely in mine and everyone has told me not to screw with it unless I can find the exact automatic replacement.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 AM

yes I have a set of auto pedals. easy for you to install but you might want somthing to seal up where the master cylinder went through the fire wall as it is a 1 5/8 inch hole... But I have the auto pedals. it isn't that hard bro honestly. and switching from auto to manual isn't that hard either. People have the instructions written up. Nothing about fixing a car is hard. the hard part is having the wrong tools or not having the tools you need to make the job easier for yourself and then knowledge is just looking at a manual... and $$ of course to doa project. No one ever tought me how to convert a Z to manual but I am at the point almost where I am drilling holes for the master cylinder in the metal of my car and I am confident I know what i'm doing. Just because so many people have done it and I have detailed pictures of the car with the interior out etc. Piece of cake!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator

I am great at understanding theory, process, and the tools and knowledge. However my brain disconnects when it comes to actually getting my hands to do the work correctly.

I was the kid who could take the bicycle apart in 1/2 hour but it would take me a week to put it back together and there would always be parts left over.

I'm not worried about holes... I still have all kinds of lines and tubes running around the engine bay that need to be removed. A few years back my tranny blew through the floorboards out in Ohio... That reminds me... If you run at NED they will require a tranny blanket or shield. The track manager was watching when my transmission blew out there and he instituted a new rule for any transmission/tc changes... Even for street vehicles (I had driven to Norwalk)...

The problem as he saw it was the piece of transmission lodged in my leg...
Old 06-23-2007, 12:35 AM

holy **** dude!!!! that is crazy!!! Your nuts well. think of it like this nuts and bolts only screw and unscrew so all you have to do is get a tool that fits in the tigyht spot and gets a good bite on the head of the nut and it is either left or right or your wasting your time...... if you understand theory. then simplify it in your mind and take somthing small apart... then somthing bigger... you seem smart enough to do work yourself.... I think there is a word for what you have... thats procrastination.... haha oh yea and no motivation
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

I can bolt steel beams together on bridges and do basic stuff, but right now for example I have a Hurst shifter I have not been able to hook up after many hours of futzing around. I downloaded the direction, printed them out, have the right tools, have a diagram from TCI for the transmission, have the blanket off, and even have one of those stupid ballcaps with LED lights so i can see what I am doing underneath but I can't seem to figure out where everything goes.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM

I might be able to assist. Although I havent setup clutches before...

-Dustin-