N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Some advice on nitrous purchase; fuel pumps, kits, controllers.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Some advice on nitrous purchase; fuel pumps, kits, controllers.

I have never personally used nitrous, although I have done alot of research, and am fully aware how the whole operation works. As you can see in my sig, I have a real strong motor. All 4340 forged rotating assembly, ARP studs/bolts. The motor was built prior to me owning it, by a corvette guy and was spraying 200 on a regular basis, throwing his street weight 4l60e vette into the 10.40's. It was gapped, and built, with big shot in mind. It has been rebuilt every winter since it was originally done. I am not asking "can my motor handle it" because we all know, thats in the eye of the beholder. Everything is different, I know historically speaking, the motor can stand the blast of the 200 shot. I am estimating the motor makes about 480bhp...or so. I am going to be buying my nitrous setup in the near future. I am looking alot at Nitrous Outlets stuff. I like the plate setup. But, im not certain if I want to be spraying 200 on a regular basis. Being that I have an m6 car, I am looking at progressive controllers, or some way, to lock out at a minimum 1st gear. I like the mallory 685, I will be using that for timing retard, window, and two step. I obviously plan on running a FPSS. The car has a walboro 255lph fuel pump, without the wiring kit and all that. I am running 42lbsvo injectors, at about 44-45psi. I have an aeromotive AFPR. I have yet to dyno this car (too cold in the midwest). Im not an auto newby by any means, but im hoping you guys have done some trial and errors to save me the headaches. Onto the questions

Is there anyone else who makes a nice 58mm plate setup?

Aproximately how much spray is possible on the 255lph pump...I am thinking I want to hit 150 shot to keep it safe.

Is everyone pulling fuel off the shraeder valve?

If my single pump is not sufficient, what is everyone else doing for a larger pump volume?

What is a good, fair priced controller? I like the Nitrous Express Small or whatever they call it. I am not looking to spend 700 on the maximizer II. I just need to lock out at a minimum, 1st gear. What are you m6 guys successful with?

How good are the nitrous outlet solenoids included in their plate kit, as far as progressive goes?

What kind of work is involved in swapping to welded fuel rails? Will I see a great increase in efficiency? I have a set, nicely done, but without steel braided stuff...their useless.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by speedracer2j
Is there anyone else who makes a nice 58mm plate setup?
There are a couple other LT1 plates on the market...NOS and Nitrous Works are 2 I can think of. Both use a spray bar and direct the spray towards the rear of the intake. This can cause issues with distribution.

Aproximately how much spray is possible on the 255lph pump...I am thinking I want to hit 150 shot to keep it safe.
its not a factor of "how much spray" but how much HP....a 255 pump by its self will only support 5-550 whp...if it has a "hot-wire" kit it will handle 6-650 whp.....it would be best to monitor fuel pressure and gradually work the shot size up to verify fuel pressure is holding constant.

Is everyone pulling fuel off the shraeder valve?
This is the easiest way if you are feeding the kit off the main fuel system.

If my single pump is not sufficient, what is everyone else doing for a larger pump volume?
There are 2 options (IMO)...upgrading the whole fuel system. If you went with something like the Aeromotive A1000 pump and matching lines,regulators, etc, this would easily support 800-1000hp.

I am running a seperate fuel system to feed my nitrous kit. And the intank 255lph to feed the motor. This is the best option (IMO) as it allows you to run different octane levels.

What is a good, fair priced controller? I like the Nitrous Express Small or whatever they call it. I am not looking to spend 700 on the maximizer II. I just need to lock out at a minimum, 1st gear. What are you m6 guys successful with?
For an LT1 M6 I would suggest the NOS 15974...this has a Pause/resume feature that is nice for an M6 and dedicated outputs to trigger the Mallory's timing retard.

How good are the nitrous outlet solenoids included in their plate kit, as far as progressive goes?
the solenoids come with a lifetime warranty and are designed to be used witha progressive

What kind of work is involved in swapping to welded fuel rails? Will I see a great increase in efficiency? I have a set, nicely done, but without steel braided stuff...their useless.
Can't help with this as I have never worked on the type of swap.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:05 PM

I would listen to everything Ray tells you. Those guys at n2o outlet know wtf is up when it comes to juice.

I would buy their kit, and one of their cheaper controllers. The single intank should be fine for a 150/200 shot. But as ray mentioned, standalone fuel would be your best bet for safety.