N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

N2o on my 95' z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 AM

N2o on my 95' z28

I would like to put a nitrous set-up on my LT1 in my sig. It's a re-man AC/Delco shortblock with about 30k on it, so its all stock. What set-up am I gonna need to adjust timing? Also what would be a safe shot to run....150? This is my daily driver but I'd like to take it to the track around twice a month and have a little fun....would you suggest a wet or dry kit?...............Thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM

i would go wet. with a 150 you dont need to pull timing as your computer will pull enough timing that you will be ok. check out www.nitrodaves.com they have great prices and ive installed one of thier kits on a LS1 corvette and it had everything we needed.
my suggestion is start small, like a 50-75 shot and see how the car reacts to the N2O. i would also recomend getting a electronic Wide open throttle switch, the micro switch is just a pain in the butt and it looks ugly. if your a 6 speed i would suggest a rpm switch, if your an automatic dont worry about it. with a small shot (under 100) you realy dont have to worry about the bottle heater, opener and extras like that. most tracks require a blowdown tube so remember that, and there only like 25 dollars. also to add, NX kits have thier own "special" jets and its a pain because no one in my town carries NX stuff, 98% of other kits all use the same style jets.
but to summarize go out and get a kit, hook it up and enjoy! the LT1 realy likes nitrous!! (good friend has a mild bolton LT1 with a 125 shot and runs 12.8 on spray)
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 AM
01Z

Originally Posted by deerslayinrenek
I would like to put a nitrous set-up on my LT1 in my sig. It's a re-man AC/Delco shortblock with about 30k on it, so its all stock. What set-up am I gonna need to adjust timing? Also what would be a safe shot to run....150? This is my daily driver but I'd like to take it to the track around twice a month and have a little fun....would you suggest a wet or dry kit?...............Thanks
Like with anything that cost this much, that can potentially do such damage, it will behoove you to read through this forum and others on the topic. In other words don't short change yourself by rushing into this and not doing all the homework.

Having put a 125 wet kit on my 95 two or three years ago I can give you a little input. Besides the basic kit you really need a way to see if you are getting detonation. One lean run and you will reap some expensive damage. I have an in-dash ScanMaster but there are other ways to monitor and protect your engine. AeroForce makes a nice looking gauge and dynotune has an inexpensive, cool little combo gauge / cut-off switch to protect your motor. I have seen my computer pull 9 degrees due to detonation under nitrous. The PCM will only pull up to 12 degrees because of knock so I've got something to be concerned about. After only 6 or 7 uses my 100k motor began sipping a little coolant. My guess and hope is that I have a small passage in a head gasket but until I do some disassembly that will remain a guess.

Most people will recommend a wet kit but make sure you have the fuel supply available. A fuel pressure gauge can be a relatively inexpensive precaution. I also installed an in-line fuel pump but upgrading to something like the Racetronix (Walbro 255 lph) in-tank hi performance unit is all you will need with a small hit. Just don't be fooled by these basic kit prices. You need to spend quite a bit more to protect your investment.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:36 PM

yes my plan is to do it right. It's a 6 speed so i plan to run a window switch and anything else i need to do. I want to run a wet kit, i am trying not to spend too much but i dont wanna cut corners on something that will hurt my engine.....I was hoping to get some opinions so i don't waste money on something i don't need and also so i don't go the cheap way out on something more important. If it were to break then I would build the bottom end to take the abuse but at this time i dont want my car to be down for that period of time and I dont have the money to dump into the bottom end.......Thank you for your opinions so far and I hope to get a few more
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Like suggested above I would go with a wet system. There are two basic options that would fit your needs. Either a single nozzle system or plate system. I personally think the plate system gives a much cleaner looking install.

If your car has a custom tune advancing the timming you will need to pull some timing. Feel free to call us toll free and talk one on one with a tech. 1-866-648-7637

Dave
Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM

I like the idea of the plate system.....is there any real performance issue with either? Looks don't really matter to me. As far as a custom tune...I don't believe the car has one, however I do think that maybe there was one of those junk hand helds used on it at one time.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 PM

I wouldnt run a 150 shot on a dd.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:21 AM
01Z

Originally Posted by slomarao
I wouldnt run a 150 shot on a dd.
I agree and really other than a little testing on the expressway I wouldn't use it on the street at all.

I like the idea of the plate system.....is there any real performance issue with either? Looks don't really matter to me. ...
Putting the fogger into the rubber (or aftermarket aluminum) duct isn't pretty but it does give you a little space before the TB. My kit instructions recommend the fogger nozzle to be some distance from the throttle body to assure the best atomization possible before ingestion. I don't know if the good looking throttle plate mixes things up better than a less expensive single fogger system. I'd like to know this for myself.

The "nitrous accessories" sticky provided for this forum is great. I have them all except the remote opener because my tank is mounted in the RH passenger seat well - would still like to own one though. I have another suggestion regarding the window switch / spark control. I really like the Mallory 685 Hifire. Cool digital display and total push button rev limiter (no tiny dip switches to twiddle or limit modules to buy). The Hifire has several other advantages and functions as well. Mine stays in the bypass mode unless I'm using the nitrous. It was the best accessory I could have bought because it combines a couple of the others and looks very trick.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 AM

the N2O wont be used at all on the street.....I plan to take it to the track once or twice a month this summer.....thanks again for everyone's thought
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM

On larger shots the Plate would be a better option due to the design. Our plate has multiple discharges that are designed to work better with the LT1 intake manifold. Our single nozzle kits work well on the LT1 for 100- 150.
Dave
Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 AM

well my LT1 will never see anything over a 150 shot....does the nozzle go before or after the MAF
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM

well my LT1 will never see anything over a 150 shot....does the nozzle go before or after the MAF
After
Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM

It goes in the 90 degree elbow going into the intake. (after the MAF as the guy above me stated).