N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Just scored some NX stuff....what next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 AM

Just scored some NX stuff....what next?

(After reading all of this great N2O talk here on CZ28.com that all of you have been so kind as to write up tutorials and such for me....)

So a friend of a friend that knew I was in the market for a N2O setup gave a call today and told me about a guy he knew that was selling a Nitrous Express setup for a really "good deal." Long and short is that I went to go check it out and the stuff the guy had was a NX 10lb bottle, a NX 4150 style plate, NX Fuel Solenoid, NX Purge Solenoid, NX N2O Solenoid and a Holley (what looks like) 34R-665798 FPR.
Now, this setup was installed on a '70 Cuda that he recently sold but he never even filled the bottle or used it. The lines are bent and all the solenoids are connected to the plate. The main line appears to have never been installed either. Still in plastic bag...?...
Of course, there is a small box of switches and wires with terminals and whatnot attached but I didnt' look too hard at them yet. The bottle brackets were also untouched and look in good shape.

He was askin $350 for all of it, but when I flashed him the $260, he took it.

So...here I am. I know that I can use some of the stuff. I'm excited because I really wanted to get started with the NX branded pieces since most all of you had good stuff to say about it. The bottle is good for my application I'm pretty sure...lol....the lines of course....the switches and I'm hoping that the Solenoids are too...

That's where I need your help and advice. I don't remember hearing anyone specifically say that there was a difference between the EFI and carbed solenoids...may sound stupid but I don't want to assume that I can use all of the stuff and want to know (or should I say hope) that I bought the stuff knowing that I can use most of it...
There don't seem to be any kind of part numbers on the actual solenoids. There is labeling such as "in" and "out" and all that. They all are labeled for the application.. "fuel" or "N2O." Is there a PN that I am missing??

Parts that I know I need...(at the min) would be
a.) some sort of EFI nozzle(s) or an LT1 Plate.
b.) a FPSS
c.) a WOT or "window switch"
d.) Fuel and N2O guages
e.) Bottle warmer

Does this sound right to y'all??

Any advice helps and is appreciated.

Thank you guys for influencing me and giving confidence. The write ups are some of the best on the Board.

Ivan

BTW-I recently installed a 255 Walbro thinking that I was going to one day need the boost in fuel if I went this route or S/C. thx...Ivan

Last edited by IPrice; 07-30-2008 at 12:25 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM

Sounds like your well on your way. Good plan, and a good deal on the parts. Talk to the guys at Nitrous Outlet if you need any help or parts that you can't find. I recently started using N2O after picking up one of their plate kits. Their very helpfull and always get right back to you in a timely matter. Do you have a blowoff valve and tube?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM

blow down tube. Colder plugs with a gap around .035. You listed all the other safety items, may a progressive controller?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 AM

No blowdown tube yet...

Should I be looking to use a plate style or jet style outlet?? I like the plate since it would be more stealthy to the untrained eye but couldn't find one last night after a small search.

You guys think that the solenoids are correct or am I overthinking them??

Want some pics of what I got so far?? Would it help?

Thanks,
Ivan
Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Ivan, if you like the clean look of the plate, check out Nitro Daves Nitrous Outlet, a supporting vendor on this site.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 AM

I went there and checked it out...I had seen the "older" tb style plate but it seems like the new way to go is the "MAF ends" (plate). If you would even call it that...lol.

I really like it and seems like the way to go. But, is it a dual stage type plate or a single? I see it as a Gemini Twin...thinking a dual. Maybe that's why the cheapest I can find it is $379. Seems like a lot but maybe you get what you pay for there...

For that, one could prolly buy 8 nozzles and go DP???...

Just playing devils advocate on the price point.

Maybe I could just go with a single "shark" or "pirahnna" to get me going.

Opinions??,
Ivan
Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Nitro Daves plate is different technology than the old plate set-ups that had the spray bars. There's a video out there somewhere that shows how it works. Nice piece of workmanship, you wouldn't be disappointed.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 PM

Wow. That sounds good. I'll look for it then. I really like the Gemini MAF ends but it kinda kills the deal and makes me think twice when I see the cash I gotta fork out for it. If I knew it was a difference maker, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

If one of you guys spots the vid that was mentioned, please post up a link to it incase I can't find anything.

Thanks and I'll go lookin now,
Ivan
Old 08-02-2008, 09:21 AM

Maybe contact Nitro Daves for the video. They can probably lead you to it.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Cool. Ill email him. Also, I'm not gonna be needing that 4150 NX Plate so what the heck do I sell it for???

Haven't seen one on ebay or locally.

Thanks,
Ivan
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Here is a link to the LT1 Plate conversions
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...del=51&dept=11

Here is a link to a flow test of the Hemi plate....The LT1 plate is very similar but the discharge comes from the center divder between the dual bores.
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=3515
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Awesome. Nice video. Too bad it is for a uh hum, Dodge application!

No really I think that is the way I'd like to go. Is your plate (kit?) the one that has the two hardlines that would run to my solenoids that would mount off the rear of my intake?? I've seen some stuff when I google some plate images and thought it might be the same.

Or does the $285 price just get me the plate, gasket, and harware??

Thanks Ray,
Ivan