Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Kid who just bought my GTO wrecked it driving home

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Kid who just bought my GTO wrecked it driving home

He got about 2 miles from my house and took a left turn too fast, spun around and slammed into a 32 Ford heading in opposite direction. The car didnt have a plate on it and the cop wanted to impound it. My buddy Lee happened upon the accident and told the cop you can drive a car that you just purchased straight home without a plate. So the cop let the kid (about 20 years old) have it towed to a body shop near his house. He did get a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. I still have full coverage on the car and he doesnt have any insurance on it. I dont want to claim it because the car was sold and I wasnt driving it. No one got hurt and the air bags didnt go off. Front end is pretty smashed but the radiator is still good. I guess the $3000 he was going to spend on mods is going to go for the accident repair now. :-(
Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 PM

oops.........
Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 PM

someone has a Need.. For .. speed..
Old 07-13-2007, 05:23 PM

I wouldn't claim it if I were you. Besides, his insurance company should still cover it. I think you get something like a 5 day grace period when you buy a USED vehicle. Sucks for him!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
He got about 2 miles from my house and took a left turn too fast, spun around and slammed into a 32 Ford heading in opposite direction.
Good thing you got your money when you did.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:31 PM

oh dude that sucks. for him. def. dont claim it. it wasnt your car, it wasnt your accident. nothing to do with you at all.

chris
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 PM

Please do not claim it!! It`s that idiot kid problem. What happened to the guy in the 32 Ford?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 PM

His car, his wreck. He needs to call his insurance agent and work out the details.

Hell, if you want to cover his accident on his car, I'll send you my insurance bill every month so you can pay my bill. It's the same thing.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Damn Friday the 13th

It pushed the 32 Ford coupe up over a mellow rounded curb onto a lawn. Just a couple scratches on it and owner drove it home. I think if it hit a heavier vehicle, it would have been damaged more, and the air bags would have popped. I went to the post office to next day the cashiers check to pay off the loan to an out of state bank and forgot to take my cell phone. I saw 6 missed calls on it when I got home and wondered WTF. If it was impounded, I would have been the one to get it out since it was technically still in my name. Until the release of lien comes back next week, the new owner (Chad) cant transfer the title. I let him and his buddy test drive it by themselves on Tuesday and they came back with a big **** eaten grin on their faces and I knew they hit it hard (the throttle). I would have been screwed if he wrecked it on the test drive. He probably would have just called me and told me to come get it and that he didnt want to buy it since it had been wrecked. He didnt get a loan for it so nobody made him show proof of insurance. He had $25,000 to work with and bought it for $21,300. The rest was going to go into performance mods, but not now. He told my buddy Lee that he was going to meet up with some friends at Sashabaw and I-75 to see what it would do on the highway. He could have wrecked going 130mph and killed people and the car would have still been in my name. Thats scarier than Freddy Kruger coming at ya. I just hope he learned a lesson, but I kinda doubt it. I'm not going to claim it and hes ok with fixin it out of his pocket. Its up at a body shop in Lapeer and hes already ordered parts for it. I think next time I sell a 400hp car to a kid, I'll deliver it in my trailer.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Wow glad everybody is ok
Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Call your insurance and tell them exactly when the car was sold. I do that with every car I sell.

Sucks to hear.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
I think next time I sell a 400hp car to a kid, I'll deliver it in my trailer.
Sage advice, I'd say.