Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Anyone do concrete work or have concrete background?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Anyone do concrete work or have concrete background?

I have a two-car garage and the concrete floor is laid out in 4 large pieces.

One of the concrete pieces is uneven, it looks as though it is sinking into the ground in the corner area where the 4 pieces meet. It looks to be an inch or so lower then the rest If memory serves, another one looks like it is starting to do the same.

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I would like to get it fixed.

Anyone know how much something like this could cost to have fixed? Can anyone suggest a particular person or company to come out and do it?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:26 PM

Look in the yello pages under concrete contractors. there are companies that specialize in levelling sunken slabs, sidewalks, etc. They dig a hole the put a tub under there and pump more concrete in. the hydraulic pressure lifts that section back up and the new concrete keeps it from sinking again.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Exposed Member

Mario does concrete Jason. If you need his # I can mail it to you.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

I am not looking for something to be perfect, I just want it to be level.

I know that companies in the Yellow Pages can do it, but I don't want to get ripped off.

And I know Mario does it, but again, I don't want to get ripped off.

Seriously, I figured he was busy enough with his uh..."adventures". I was gonna call him about this anyway but I am pretty sure he got rid of all of his equipment.

I guess I was looking more for a ballpark price from someone who know how much this should cost or hoping that someone here might work for a concrete company.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:17 PM

How large are the slabs? Also how many inches deep does the concrete go. It sounds like there wasn't proper foundation for the concrete before it was poored. At a very worst resort you could pull the current stuff out. Throw some more foundation in and get it redone. A typical 20ft by 20ft garage wouldn't be more than $300-500 bucks to redo that's about 4 inches thick as well. You could get some buddies with sledge hammers to get th current stuff out. Give em a couple beers and let er rip. I know that's probably not the option you wanna go, but itisan option.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Banned

garages are ususally 6-8 inches and would run a little more money to do! Not alot, and you could rent any tools you would need cheap! Its not that hard to really do, hardest part would be setting up the forms!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:24 AM

I think a garage floor would only need to be 6-8 inches if you were going to have some sort of lift or some kind of heavy object sitting on it. I dated a girl and both her mother and father worked at High Grade Cement company here in MI. That's what he told me. Average garage floor is about 4 inches but you could go as thick as 6 or more if you really wanted. It's all in how the concrete is mixed. Depends on the ingredients and such that really make the strength. FYI I helped lay the cement at where I work in the welding shop addition they just built. It's only 4 inches thick and has a huge press, a huge steel cutter, and several other misc. metal fabrication things on it. Not to mention the couple fork lifts that travel back and for and sit on it all the time. Not a single problem but it was all in the mix. I'm not saying your wrong or anything, that's just what I was told. Adding a couple more inches in depth to a complete garage floor is gonna cost some money, probably money that doesn't need to be spent on that. It could be used on renting the tools to get the old floor out. Good luck anyway.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:44 AM

We just had some cement laid and they put in 6" because a lift was going in. The cement guy said that we really didn't even need that much, but we did it just to be safe. This company knows what they're doing, is very reputable, and has good prices as well, but I don't know what their radius is for how far they work. You can always find out though if you want. PM me if you're interested in their contact information.