Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

how to register a trailer in PA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 PM

how to register a trailer in PA?

I have looked all over the PADOT website, and DMV.org, and all I see is a PDF on titling a homemade trailer, but that PDF doesn't open for me...

Who from PA has registered a trailer and what is the proceedure?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 AM

not 100% sure how PA works. But I believe you have register it just like a car only you do not need proof of insurance. You need a title and take it to the DMV and get plates. I'm sure Kaz or Jax will know. They both have trailers in PA.

In NJ its a little goofy. You do not use a title. The state issues a certificate of ownership or something but no technical title.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

In NJ, you need the "certificate of origin", issued by the manufacturer. There is nothing issued by the State, other than the registration certificate.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 AM

Go to a local tag dealer, they should have the form. Basically you need to take a tracing of the serial number, the title or bill of sale and have it sent to Harrisburg. it can be a PITA process!

My trailer was from the midwest and they didn't use titles, then the serial number on the plate wasn't raised, so I had to send a picture, then the serial number wasn't enought digits, so they did a salvage title. Took a few months before the plates showed up. Once done you just get the registration even year. No inspection or insurance needed. But you might want to double check with your insuarnace if they will honor the trailer if your pulling it with your car.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:48 AM

Thanks guys, but with the research I have been doing I think I might be registering it in Maine, cheeper, no sales tax, cheeper, and you get the tags in a week...

http://staabagency.com/services.htm
http://www.mbi-trailers.com/register/
Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
In NJ, you need the "certificate of origin", issued by the manufacturer. There is nothing issued by the State, other than the registration certificate.
Yeah I remember something like that. My trailer was home made and the I remember buying it from a guy in Ohio. I waited 6 weeks to get the title for it and went to the DMV. The told me I didn't need the title and they issued me a cirtificate. It basically looks like a title but its not. The state gave it to me because the trailer was home made. I was so mad that I waited all that time and made 13 bizillion phone calls to get the title and never even needed it.

I never knew you could register a trailer like that out of state.

My NJ registration is yearly and is $22.50 a year. They go by weight and I registered it for 3500 lbs. Its well over that with the car on it but who cares. I've had it for 7 years and never had a problem.

Last edited by Projectz28; 12-29-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM

I know over the last few years, PA made it alot harder to register a homemade trailer. When I toyed with the idea of making my owner trailer a few years ago, I was told that I had to provide proof that the individual that did the welding was "certified" (whatever that meant) plus some other criteria. This put me off so I just bought one.

Even when I bought one, I had to jumo through all kinds of hoops to get a title for it.

I recommend that you go to your local AAA office and talk to someone who registers trailers as a part of their job. It will fully educate you on the requirements. HTH.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 AM

yeah, I have been talking to a bunch of guys I race with and they told me about the registering in Maine thing, it is suposed to be really easy, and cheeper...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM

OK with all the holidays and work related delays I have just gotten around to looking into this again. I just called the staab agency and the woman who I was talking to told me how easy it was and is sending me the info I need through snail mail, and if I had a fax it would have been quicker. She said it is really simple, and she will include all the pricing info in the packet she sends out. So the clock starts now, and we will see how painless this process actually is...
Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Good luck with that. PA can be difficult.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by KeithO
Good luck with that. PA can be difficult.
Yeah that is one of the reason for going with the Maine registration, I will report back as the process goes to see if it is any less painfull.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM

OK well here is an update, I was on vacation in FL from 1/11 until yesterday evening, when I got home I had the packet from the Staab Agency in my mail, but I was not really in the mood to read through it...

Today I read it and everything sounded too easy I called them and asked questions and they assured me it was really that easy. I only had to fill out 2 forms:
1 POA (power of attorney) form that clearly states you are giving them the right to apply for title and registration on your behalf and it clearly states that they can not do anything else with your trailer. This needs to be notarized, and I had that done around the corner in a few minutes, the notary was even nice enough to look everything over and tell me he thought it looked pretty good.
And 1 registration form with the name address vin number and all that sort of stuff...

It all came out to be a darn good price:
5 year registration = $87
Title without lien = $30
POA fee = $20
Shipping to get the tags here $6.50

So at this point I should be good for the next 5 years all for the low price of $143.5, and no taxes or anything else...

One year registration started at $23, at the 5 year mark it was 17.40 a year, I thought that was a good compromize between savings and money comming out of my pocket. I could have gotten it taged for 12 years but that was $206 (17.17 per year) for the registration bringing the total to $262.50, and I didn't have the extra money right now so I went witht he 5 year registration. I will keep you guys up to date in case you want to save some money on your trailer registration and not deal with all the crap PA puts you through...
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Hey, let us know if that process works out for you. Im interested in doing the same thing but I'm hesitant about signing the PoA for someone I've never met (remember Rocky 4 & 5).

I read on the internet where the Owner of Staab was indicted for tax fraud and I'm not sure if they are still operating legtimately

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.co...l/4021416.html

I hope they are because I could really use the service they are providing.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by dallas1701
Hey, let us know if that process works out for you. Im interested in doing the same thing but I'm hesitant about signing the PoA for someone I've never met (remember Rocky 4 & 5).

I read on the internet where the Owner of Staab was indicted for tax fraud and I'm not sure if they are still operating legtimately

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.co...l/4021416.html

I hope they are because I could really use the service they are providing.
I will keep you guys up to date, but that article is clear that she was charged with personal tax evasion, nothing unlike what some of us do when not claiming all of our tips, other income, and ect. It states she suposedly made more then she claimed to make, but she did pay taxes on what she made, plus they article stated that the indictment was for 2000-2002 tax years, and I know guys that have been using this service since then...

Again, though I will keep eveyone up to date...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM

OK so here is an update but nothing really outrageous...

Snail mail is soo freeking slow...

I spent a little more to send my stuff certified so that there was some insurance against loosing the title or any of that other stuff and I have been checking it for a week and it looks like that's how long it takes snail mail to get to Maine...

Accrding to USPS TRacking:

Your item was delivered at 9:31 AM on January 22, 2008 in JEFFERSON, ME 04348.

So at this point it has still been painless other then waiting for snail mail, and the worst part is I requested them to send my stuff back via snail mail instead of a UPS or Fedex, that was probably dumb but it isn't like I need the tags real soon or anything, I just didn't realize it took a week just to get the stuff there...

Quick Reply: how to register a trailer in PA?