Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

Houston we have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Houston we have a problem

It got late so I nixed the Friday night plans for Numidia and went to my local track (Maple Grove) to get some runs on the firebird. Got to make 3 T&T passes. 12.20, 12.05, and 12.30. My lights and 60' were all over the place too. Houston we have a problem. 12.0x is where the car shoud be for the DA. Came home and had some left over wings. This was my first time out as a grandpa. Hummmm maybe I'm too old to race.

So what do I do today?
Numidia big bucks race
Maple points race
And which car firebird or the mustang.

Decisions, decisions.

Well I have a few hours to decide.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 AM
ZZ

I think it's time for another car.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Need more data!

Did your 60's pick you when your ETs picked up? How was your MPH at midtrack? Where were picking up at? Is the car running the same temp? what about the trans temp?

You were at a TNT, I assume all the street tire cars hurt the starting line, could make your RTs look bad, if your spinning even slightly it would result in you not lifting the front and bringing the wheels out of the beams the same. I assume you were going deep? might want to do some testing going shallow so you know the car is being set in the same spot until you get yourself consistent with the tree, then go bad to going deep.

Not sure at MG, but with the temp changing quickly Dew can be an issue, just because it gets cooler doesn't mean the air gets better, you can't burn the water droplets! It may be cooler, but there can be less oxegen in the air?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Did you figure anything out over the weekend?

I ran at the YB Nationals down at Cecil all weekend. Friday night T&T and Saturday bracket race left me with RTs all over the place and my ET picked up each run I made.

Sunday I decided to run Pro Dial (bracket race with a handicapped pro tree) to see where the heck my RTs REALLY are. The answer? DEAD LATE. .125, .170 and .0130. Rick is thinking I need to deep stage this car as it isn't leaving as hard as my Nova did.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM

I tossed out friday nights runs. I believe it was mostly due to poor track conditions. I was backed out of the water box on my first run for an antifreeze cleanup. I did spin on the line and mid track. Data was a mess. I went to Numidia the next day and ET's were a lot closer. I did notice that I'm having issues footbraking at the correct rpm. I had time to look down at the tach and I was 600 rmp lower that what it should of been. Hello .070 lights. lol.

Jax, i agree go deep girl. Watch how Bud McNasby deep stages with the autostart and deep not being honored. I deep stage the firebird the same was just not as graceful as Bud.

Watch the rollout at Cecil. Close to the center wall rollout is simular to Atco. As you move over to the outside wall rollout increases bigtime.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by kazman
I tossed out friday nights runs. I believe it was mostly due to poor track conditions. I was backed out of the water box on my first run for an antifreeze cleanup. I did spin on the line and mid track. Data was a mess. I went to Numidia the next day and ET's were a lot closer. I did notice that I'm having issues footbraking at the correct rpm. I had time to look down at the tach and I was 600 rmp lower that what it should of been. Hello .070 lights. lol.

Jax, i agree go deep girl. Watch how Bud McNasby deep stages with the autostart and deep not being honored. I deep stage the firebird the same was just not as graceful as Bud.

Watch the rollout at Cecil. Close to the center wall rollout is simular to Atco. As you move over to the outside wall rollout increases bigtime.
I ran Bud 2 weeks ago at Atco first round. I know what he does. I don't like the idea that he will sit there until I go ALL THE WAY IN before lighting the top bulb. It was fine for me because I knew what he was going to do but if I hadn't, I would have sat there for a LONG time waiting for him to turn the top bulb on. I'm not into the head games on the starting line. I like to do my thing the same way every time. I'm not interested in getting into a burn down or getting waved in by the starter. If there's a way to deep stage without the added element of the head game, I'd do it. I also don't want to be stressed out about trying to get in before the tree starts coming down. I can't help it... I'm an analyst and I over-analyze everything.

I am also having trouble holding the rpms steady. I found out that I can't hold the car higher than 2700 by accident.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM

I I went to Numidia the next day and ET's were a lot closer. I did notice that I'm having issues footbraking at the correct rpm. I had time to look down at the tach and I was 600 rmp lower that what it should of been. Hello .070 lights. lol.

I was the only one in the tower Friday so I didn't get a chance to talk to you. I did notice you were waiting to jump in and then go deep after the other car staged. Try going in just a bit quicker, might give you a bit more time to get up on the convetor and set your RPM before the tree drops on you?

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 09-13-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM

I don't have an issue going deep even when the other car is fully staged. I sit just in front of the prestage beam. When I'm ready (not as long as Bud lol) I bring the car up to launch rpm and do one roll up to fully deep staged.

I'm going to install a throttle set device shortly. Fellow racer designed a killer setup and my car will be the first fuel injected application. Device is legal for foot break races.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM

I don't have an issue going deep even when the other car is fully staged. I sit just in front of the prestage beam. When I'm ready (not as long as Bud lol) I bring the car up to launch rpm and do one roll up to fully deep staged.

I'm going to install a throttle set device shortly. Fellow racer designed a killer setup and my car will be the first fuel injected application. Device is legal for foot break races.
Bud doesn't pre-stage. He waits for the other driver to go all the way in and he rolls into pre-stage, stage, then deep-stage in one motion.

I'm not saying he isn't good at it. He is AWESOME at it. For me, it's no issue because I know what he does so I just went all the way in. For someone that doesn't know, they would have been sitting there with their pre-stage bulb lit waiting - at least until the starter waives the other driver in.

I don't doubt that I couldn't get in deep without a problem. Perhaps I should try it before I rule it out all together. I'm still working on a solid routine once I roll into the water anyway.