Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

Danville / Bloomsburg / Surrounding Area People Get in Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Danville / Bloomsburg / Surrounding Area People Get in Here

John, Harold,....

I've finally convinced my wife to look at Geisinger as a possible employer. That in and of itself is a giant hurdle that has been overcome. Now, the question is, what are other surrounding areas for professional employment? I am going to need a job. I have a Bachelors and Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering w/ 12 years of industry experience. Ten of that is in the pump field. I'm willing to travel up to 35 minutes assuming we live in Danville.

The next thing is my wife is much more of a civilization type of person. Malls, shopping centers, movie theaters, amusement parks, recreational areas are her thing. I'm perfectly content playing w/ a tractor and shooting guns in the back yard. What "civilized" things are in the area? Malls, parks, entertainment...

Housing prices and location are the next thing. I'm not sure we need 4,000 sq. feet, but 3,000 w/ a finished basement, attached garage and detached garage, barn or workshop would be great. What is a good location? Where should we avoid?

This is all very much in the infancy stage, but if it actually starts to become a reality I'd like to have info to feed her. Personally, I'd move tomorrow provided I had a job. The area is very suited to how I want to live and where I'd like to raise my kids.

Any info / help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 PM

This area isn't really that "county" like it was when i started come up here 15 years ago. At least I feel the area has grown allot. I'm in Numdia, 10 minutes from Knobles amusement park, and 10 minuted from Buckhorn ( small mall ) national stores, 1/2 hour from Sielingsgrove has a fairly large mall, and they have just about every store in that area = Khols, Penny's Sears. Bloomsburg has the old town feel with allot of local shops. wilkes-Barre is about a 45 minute drive and your in mall heaven!

honestly, all of this area is pretty good. We picked out location based on the the Sounthern school district (honest it wasn't because of the dragstrip, that was just a bonus ) Southern covers Catawissa, Numdia, Elysbrug. Giesenger is in the Danville area. I don't know allot about the school there? 67Bird went there I think, he turned out fine, but SweetZ may have went there too? LOL!

As far as your job? I'm friends with one of the racers at the track that builds pump/turbines for nuke plants and such. I'll talk to him.

Housing really varies up here from small to extreem. Right now I'm looking for a 2-3 acrer lot for my Daughter to build on. Land averages about 20K an acer.

If you ever want to come up and spand a day let me know.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks John. That' the type of info I was looking for. I noticed that the Berwick power plant is looking for engineers. I mentioned that to my wife and that piqued her interest. Timing is the issue as I think we both would need to continue to work and it's always more difficult for me to find a job. The ideal situation is that one of us be able to work part time so the kids can spend more time at home. I have no idea where this is going to go and we'll see if she even applies. Personally, I'm not sure she's ready to move further away from her family. If we do this I might end have to move my mother in law, too.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Another Plus. When you but the T/A back from Harold you won't need to tow it to far!

We're setting up a day at the Numidia 8/22 from 10am to 4pm for some TNT and grudge racing. You should come up, spend a few hours at the track, take the family to Knobles and check out the area!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pampered-Z
Another Plus. When you but the T/A back from Harold you won't need to tow it to far!

We're setting up a day at the Numidia 8/22 from 10am to 4pm for some TNT and grudge racing. You should come up, spend a few hours at the track, take the family to Knobles and check out the area!
Hahaha...

I'd like to come up at some point. The 22nd doesn't work. I'm headed to NY to buy another tractor. That's my thing at the moment. Tractors are a little cheaper than cars and more in my price range right now.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RBE17
Hahaha...

I'd like to come up at some point. The 22nd doesn't work. I'm headed to NY to buy another tractor. That's my thing at the moment. Tractors are a little cheaper than cars and more in my price range right now.

Doesn't look to cheaper to me.
http://www.propulling.com/
Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by kazman
Doesn't look to cheaper to me.
http://www.propulling.com/
I'm sure that is more expensive. I'm buying an old sub compact tractor for doing large yard jobs. Now I'll have two machines. One will be my mowing / scraping / snow throwing machine and the other will be my loader / backhoe machine. It's like cars, but on a smaller, less expensive scale. I have spare motors and parts I've bought that haven't been installed yet. I'm not into pulling...yet.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Geisinger is a great place to work. IMO. Danville School district has a great school. Like John, said...there is Numedia, Knobles (amusement park), a few smaller scale malls, lots of older town stores. Anything you can pretty much think of in a 15-20 minute drive in one direction. The best thing to do, is spend a day up in this area. Ive moved all over when I was younger, and im VERY happy here. Plan to stay here for a very long time.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM

Just an update. This won't be happening for awhile. Despite what many folks have told us, our house has not appreciated in value. Well, not according to the douche appraiser that did it last Tuesday. We have to stay put for the time being. I can't take a huge financial bath on this house.