Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

Any of you 4th gen owners in the Albany area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 PM

Any of you 4th gen owners in the Albany area?

Now that the snow seems all but gone (though it snowed in Rochester today) I'm ready to Zaino my '96 Z28 and stretch her legs a bit. Just looking for some more 4th gen brothers/sisters to run around with on weekends.

Any of you Albany area guys go to New Lebanon to race?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Re: Any of you 4th gen owners in the Albany area?

I live in clifton park... should be up to the valley ina few weeks to run the old girl... 155k on her wanna see what she runs now lolol
Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Do they have venues there at Lebanon on weekends where 'street cars' can get some test n' tunes? I've gone there a few times last year where it was 'pro cars' only.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 AM

I live in Saratoga County, been over to Lebanon a couple times- Used to be active with a bunch of Impala SS/Caprice owners with the LT1 engine. Actually took a driving class in their parking lot a couple years ago, timed laps around the cones.

Still waiting for spring- I was out in the field yesterday, and it was snowing and sleeting, about a week out of May-
Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Yeah. I know. The weather around here is irritating for car lovers
I hope to get over to the track this weekend and see if there's any time alloted for street cars on the weekends. I know they used to have (and may still) have time set aside for street cars on Wed nights but that's no good for me. I work out of town all week.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 AM

I live in cobleskill, and used to hit up Lebanon valley a little. I believe the test n tune is still Wednesdays.... I wont be racing my new car tho, 1996 SS with 1000 miles on it!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 AM

<Dave whistles> How in the world did you find that gem ?! Congrats!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 AM

One thing I've noticed since moving here in 2005, I can go weeks of driving in the Albany area and not see a 4th gen. But during the non-winter months, driving in the Rochester area, I see several and quite a few of them are modded/nice looking. Perhaps it's the colleges in the area that make that difference so striking. I see quite a few of the 5th gens in both places, which is great. Before coming here, I lived in Houston and if you didn't see at least 5 4th gens on your way to work , it was odd. Lol... I bought my '96 brand new in Nov, 1995 and have taken about ever part of it off except the fenders and windshields at somepoint in the chain of mods. I love the car and don't envision ever selling it. I do like to race it though and hope that I can find a time and place to do it. Racing with other Fbody guys against other makes and models is the most fun. In Houston, we had the fbody club and we would be pitted against the "Impala SS" club and the "Ford Lightning" club and the "Cobra/Mustang" club and the "Turbo Buick" club. Great fun with us showing up with as many as 30 4th gens in our group.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 AM

Believe it or not, I saw it on eBay motors. It was being sold by a dealer so i went to their website and went from there. The story i was told was a man bought two, drive one and stored/showed the other. I ended up getting the a latter when he couldn't keep his eyes off of a corvette at the dealer. It had 900 miles on it when it came off the truck, now I'm just over 1000 on it. 100% bone stock, although its missing the sunshades for the t tops, but i can live with that!
It wasn't exactly the steal of the century, but it is well under the sticker on the original window sticker that came with it! I even registered it on slp's website lol

I havent seen too many 4th gens out by me at all lately. There are a few, but they are mostly v6 cars driven by old ladies. Oh well, makes mine more special!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 AM

That's so cool. On the old ladies driving the Fbodies.... I know. One day, I drove up to my office building and there was (at this time) a new 2002 Z28 in the parking lot. I walked over to it. Same color as mine(Red/Black). A lady of about 65, her hair up high with 3 cans of hairspray straining to hold up the tower, walks over to me whilst smoking a cigarette. I looked at her and started to say "Can I help you..." when she preempted me by saying, "You like my new car". I stook upright, surprise probably showing instantly. "Uh.. yes! Very nice. So this is your car?"
<Her>"Yes sir! I bought it new last week from Bill Heard Chevrolet".
<Me>"That's so cool. Automatic or 6 speed?"
<Her>"Automatic. And...(she walks over closer to me as if about to share a confidence/secret. Her voice little more than a whisper) it's got a Corvette motor in it." (Then she winks, stands up straight, draws a big pull on her cigarette, tilts her head back and exhales, sending a pronounced plume of smoke in the air exultantly, then looks back at me confidently)

<Me>(Momentary blank stare…)
<Me>(Trying not to scowl and/or laugh)"A corvette motor. wow.. that's nice. How did you end up with a 'Corvette' motor in your new car?
<Her>"The salesman told me if I bought it, they'd put a corvette motor in it for me!"

<Me>"Ah.. I see.... Well, congratulations on the new car!" (walking away, eyes rolling)