LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Would pcm tune help me, and hidden antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 AM

Would pcm tune help me, and hidden antenna?

94 z28 with auto, stock except long tube headers, true duals all way back with dual flow master bullet mufflers, cold air intake, throttle body bypass, egr block off, air pump removed. Felt like it gained a lot from mods, but have to wonder would mailing my pcm to ? Provide benefit, given stock throttle body, heads, intake and cam? I'm guessing it's about $200?
Additionally, my son drives it some and the kids at school or somewhere he parked tweaked the antenna once already, and the base loosens and rattles some, has anyone used one of the "hidden antennas"? I can find something to insert in empty antenna hole to prevent water intrusion, but do wonder how well hidden antenna works and where did you mount it?
thank you, in advance, for your time to read and respond with your experience, formerly Big Puddin' (lost 36 pounds and counting)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 AM

Re: Would pcm tune help me, and hidden antenna?

a PCM tune would give you more HP over a stock tune. You would replace the thermostat with a 160 degree one as the tuner would add timing, lower fan "on" temps. This would also require running 93 octane fuel.

Typically people offering "mail order" tunes have a form you fill out listing mods on the car (headers, gears, tire size, etc) so they can make adjustments accordingly. Cost ranges from $200-$350. You mail your PCM and they return it. Sometimes the tuners offer a donor PCM and charge you a core deposit they refund to you once they receive your PCM so there is no down time of the car. Otherwise it takes a week or so counting the shipping back & forth time. Some tuners may offer a tune you load via a cable you buy from a laptop
Old 01-31-2017, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Was the damaged antenna the stock fixed mast, or the optional power antenna?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:26 PM

Stock fixed mask.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 PM

I was at walmart the other day and they have a flexable fixed antenna for about $9.00 or so.That will be my next move when this power one craps out.Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:48 PM

The aftermarket hidden antennas don't work very well. Range is limited so if you live far from the radio station you can expect crappy reception...

It's tough to beat a half wave antenna for great reception....a quarter wave works pretty good, too.