LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why does no one make a single plane intake for the LT1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 07:55 PM

Why does no one make a single plane intake for the LT1??

My plans for a carburated 396 LT1 have come to a dead stop. I cannot find anyone who makes a single plan intake for the LT1. Why?? You'd think that by now someone wouuld have come up with one seeing as how the late model LT1 has been around for a good 12 years now. All I can find is the duel plane intake from GM. From what I understand, these are only good to about 450HP. I plan on making atleast 500fwhp. I've seen many carb'd LT1's over the years so I know it can be done. Are all these costom jobs or does someone actually sell them?

Please, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Someone just sent me this link CLICK ME but I see nothing about these intakes being compatible with the LT1, it just says:

"Up through 1986, the bolt pattern on all small block Chevy engines was exactly the same. From 1987 through 1995, the four center mounting bolt holes (two on each side) were at a different angle. This change applied only to Chevy cast iron manifolds. The aluminum manifolds were the same. Whereas every other manifold company has a few additional models to fit these later heads, every one of Professional Products' SB Chevy manifolds will fit all years up through 1995.This is accomplished by slotting these four center holes and supplying drop in bushings which change the bolt hole angle to fit the late heads. On the early heads, you simply use flat washers on the slotted holes. Note this does not apply to the Vortec manifolds, which do not have the four center holes."

What do you think? .
Old 08-20-2004, 07:58 PM

Re: Why does no one make a single plane intake for the LT1??

If you're heads are off the motor take the intake & heads to a competant machine shop and have them fill & redrill the intake bolt holes in the heads to match the sinle plane intake.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrz28 73/97
If you're heads are off the motor take the intake & heads to a competant machine shop and have them fill & redrill the intake bolt holes in the heads to match the sinle plane intake.
What about the single plane intakes in the link above with their "adapter bushings"???
Old 08-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Hey 93 Formy I see you're in Canada why not check with Agostino Racing I seem to recall someone from his shop had a 396 with a single plane and a carb going low 9's at 145-150
Old 08-20-2004, 08:18 PM

Well, you don't want an intake manifold that isn't going to compliment your head/cam/carb setup. I would get whatever intake you feel is necessary then as stated above just have a machin shop drill it and fill in the other holes. Why settle for an intake that fits if it's not the one you need?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:24 PM

Hey 93 Formy I see you're in Canada why not check with Agostino Racing I seem to recall someone from his shop had a 396 with a single plane and a carb going low 9's at 145-150
Why? Cause if they did offer one they would charge an arm and a leg for it. I've been to Agostino a couple of time's now and their stuff is so outrageously priced, it's ridiculous.

If I have no other option than I guess I will take my heads to be modified to fit a single plane. I was just hoping someone here knew of some place that made/sold these intakes to bolt right up to the stock LT1 heads. Has anyone looked at the link that was provided to me? Would any of those intakes work?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:13 PM

Honestly I think the reason there are no off the shelf choices is because the carb manifold is not really meant for anything more than retrofit application where they don't want to add injection, even that is not supposed to be a performance part persay. Most LT1s are remaining injected and the stock manifold flows fairly well and serves it's purpose for the most part. There is a bigger market for adding injection to motors than taking it away, not enough demand for what ytou want it wont be built in quantity.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:06 PM

Thumbs up Re: Why does no one make a single plane intake for the LT1??

Anything is possible. It just takes a little machine work. I am not running a carb... but anything is possible nevertheless. This is a fuel injection manifold made by Accel that is designed for older small block Chevys that I had modified to work with my LT1.

Front of my engine

Back of my engine

Installed engine
Old 08-20-2004, 11:21 PM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194309
Old 08-21-2004, 07:06 AM

Well, it looks like that's my only choice. Thanksfor the advice.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:16 AM

From the one's I've seen converted, it's a tad more complex than that. Look closely at the water passages and cooling differences between the LT1 and a SBC. This needs to be addressed.

I think there are folks here or on Advanced Tech who have had a single plane converted. It was pretty much a bolt on when it was done. A SuperVic was used. If I recall it's about a $500 bill including the manifold.

Made great power in a LT-1 headed 383.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

www.edelbrock.com

Go to competition efi section, not a whole lot to have the bolt pattern converted.

David
Old 08-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Oh and have an intake converted to work with your LTx heads... not vise versa.

And yes it is more complicated than that, do a search an Advanced Tech forum... there is a lot of info there.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by '93 formy ...
My plans for a carburated 396 LT1 have come to a dead stop. I cannot find anyone who makes a single plan intake for the LT1. Why?? You'd think that by now someone wouuld have come up with one seeing as how the late model LT1 has been around for a good 12 years now. All I can find is the duel plane intake from GM. From what I understand, these are only good to about 450HP. I plan on making atleast 500fwhp. I've seen many carb'd LT1's over the years so I know it can be done. Are all these costom jobs or does someone actually sell them?

Please, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Someone just sent me this link CLICK ME but I see nothing about these intakes being compatible with the LT1, it just says:

"Up through 1986, the bolt pattern on all small block Chevy engines was exactly the same. From 1987 through 1995, the four center mounting bolt holes (two on each side) were at a different angle. This change applied only to Chevy cast iron manifolds. The aluminum manifolds were the same. Whereas every other manifold company has a few additional models to fit these later heads, every one of Professional Products' SB Chevy manifolds will fit all years up through 1995.This is accomplished by slotting these four center holes and supplying drop in bushings which change the bolt hole angle to fit the late heads. On the early heads, you simply use flat washers on the slotted holes. Note this does not apply to the Vortec manifolds, which do not have the four center holes."

What do you think? .
I checked with edelbrock last week and they state that the ls engines are so popular they see no future for the lt1. You can still consider having a Wilson welded intake made. You could also start a campaign to get someone to make a manifold. That is how the aluminum edelbrock buick and Pon tiac heads were created. If they get enough requests they might just fabricate it. Edelbrock or weiand.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:02 PM

You do realize this thread is 11 years old?

Quick Reply: Why does no one make a single plane intake for the LT1??