Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 03:27 PM   #1

When you spin a bearing, what happens to your engine?

I've heard some stories of people spinning bearings, and I certinaly wouldn't want that to happen, but what do you usually need to replace when you spin a bearing?

Is the block all shot up? Oil pan have large holes? Top end destroyed?

Also if the timing chain snaps, does the engine kill itself, or is it protected somehow? (And do timing chains really ever snap?)
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Loading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #2

Re: When you spin a bearing, what happens to your engine?

a spun bearing usually hurts the bearing,i have seen a few that hurt the rod as well causing replacement or resizing of the rod,if a main goes it can do damage to the block in which case you will then need to have the crank mounting surface ALIGN BORED this brings it back to its normal geometry,in the 18yrs. of hot rodding i have,this has happened 2 times and a 3rd being 2months ago in my z28 @112,000 heavily raced prior to me and blown headgaskets no worries a new engine will be in this week..still sux!
Old 01-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
if the timing chain snaps, does the engine kill itself, or is it protected somehow? (And do timing chains really ever snap?)
most, if not all, American engines designed with the camshaft in the block are NON-interference motors, this means that the pistons will NOT contact the valves, no way shape or form. most modern imported overhead camshaft engines are interference which means if the timing blet/chain snaps(or slips) the pistons will contact the valves and damage will occur. a timing chain might slip if its worn enough, but snapping is a rare occurence. timing belts are much more likely to snap/slip.
mmmchickenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #4

lt1s are commom for broken chains due to high RPM,the lt4 hd chain is a good stock replacement....
Old 01-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #5

I spun a rod bearing and the bearing was bad, warped the crank .040 and bent a rod.
This is my 96 Z28 - Comp Cam 306, 1.6 Ratio Magnum Tip Roller Rockers, Comp Cam Push Rods, Comp Cam Hydraulic Roller Lifters, Edelbrock Mid-Length Headers, G2 Cold Air Intake, K&N Air Filter, Air Foil, Crane Cams 10308-1 Valve Springs, Flowmaster 80 Series Exhaust, No AIR, No EGR, No Cats. 3 in. Drop, High Performance Motor Mounts, SS Wing, SS Hood, Black ZR1's 17x9.5 / 17x11.
96camaroz28lt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to hotrod18_69 Send a message via MSN to hotrod18_69 Send a message via Yahoo to hotrod18_69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96m6lt1
lt1s are commom for broken chains due to high RPM,the lt4 hd chain is a good stock replacement....
Yup happened to a buddy of mine, he bent 3 pushrod and valves.
"Brad" 97 Z28, Performabuilt Level 2 w/4000 converter, Stock bottom end 11.0:1, CC306, Stock ported heads by me, LT's, Borla Cat-back, 3:73's,
Best E.T. all motor: 12.59@108 1.77 60'
Best E.T. 150 N20: 11.56@117.96 1.64 60'
hotrod18_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #7

What causes the stock GM timing chain failure? I just changed my cam recently and replaced the chain and sprockets to be safe. The original looked good at 30k, crank sprocket had minor wear on teeth. I ran up to 6200rpm frequently, 1.6 rockers ,crane dual springs. Did the failures mentioned in this thread happen at high miles or was the application more severe, very high rpm or high spring pressure?
cat1055man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #8
Banned

Did you increase the spring tension?
You should have got the LT-4 ED Cloyes chain.
Sometimes the two sprockets don't line up.If viewed from the side one may be out farther then the other or not on all the way causing the chain to run at an angle. Will break a chain in short order.
1racerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:14 AM

Reply Post New Thread