Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #1

What push rod for hot cam lt1.

I have a 1997 trans am with the lt4 hot cam kit and 1.6SA comp promag rockers. I am running stock push rods now, but I have a miss on cylinder 7 and slightly on 8. I changed and rehanged all ignition and fuel parts, I even ran a compression/leak down test. Every thing checked out, but I notice that the valve train has some slight ticking to it; especially at higher rpms. I think I may have a bent pushrod and I plain on checking them tomorrow. If I do find bent push rods what push rods should I buy for this set up? Or are the stock push rods no good for this set up and should be changed anyway?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

the cam is made to work with stock pushrods.....Maybe look into hardened ones if you need to replace them, but a "tick" would probably be a lifter instead...in which case get a set of LS7 lifters and be done....
Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #3

LS7 lifters were installed with the cam.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #4

if you have to or just want to get new pushrods, i went with the trickflow pushrods. they are fairly inexpensive thru summit racing. if i remember i used stock length with my cam. tfs-21407200 was the part number. good luck
Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #5

I installed the crane cc305 (similar to hot cam), with lt4 heads. I noticed the new gm lifters I used (12499225, part num for 16 lifters) had a push rod seat that was more shallow than the stock lifters being replaced. Using a push rod length checker, I measured a length of 6.95 inches, that would be best for my resulting geometry. I believe the stock push rod length is 7.2 inches. I used scorpion 1.6 roller rockers. It would be a good idea to measure your own configuration to be sure. A pushrod that is too short or to long will cause unnessessary side loads on your valves causing premature wear. If you plan to increase your red line, (usually done with hot cam and roller rockers), it would also be a good idea to use hardened rods. This reduces the spring effect (bad) of push rods which may cause hammering (more excessive wear on valve train).

this page had some good info on push rods
http://scorpionperformance.com/newsi...q/?p=127#faq41

hope this helps good luck

Last edited by cornelius107; 10-05-2010 at 07:17 PM.
cornelius107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Reply Post New Thread