Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory TSBs

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2003, 12:18 AM   #1

what happen when the radiator cap gone bad??

can a bad radiator cap causes the temp. to rise up slowly?? just wondering if that's the cause of my rising temp when i turn my AC on....

thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:45 AM   #2

The system won't be properly pressurized if the cap isn't good. This may lead to overheating issues, but I really don't see why not just replace it? I mean, it's like a $3 part...
madwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:52 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Compstall
It's fairly normal for the engine temp to rise a little with the A/C on due to the load.

If your cap is bad, that can also cause overheating. If your cap is original, it wouldn't hurt to change it out, they're pretty cheap.
Measure with micrometers, mark with a scribe, chop with an axe..
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:54 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to 96speed Send a message via Yahoo to 96speed
If the cap is not keeping adequate pressure on the coolant, its going to let coolant into the overflow tank. This one reason you should replace a faulty coolant level sensor and not just unplug it. If you keep topping coolant off and it never levels off and you know its not a headgasket or leak, its likely the cap!

Ryan
96speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #5

thanks for the info.....

i will replace it today. also my low coolant sensor is bad too, it lights off sometimes, but i always check my coolant level, and it always full.....
Old 09-12-2003, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
It's fairly normal for the engine temp to rise a little with the A/C on due to the load.
Wrong, for LT1's. In hot climates turning the AC on turn both fans on and the temps. go down not up.
Wht 97, M6, SS, Conv., Bld. #35, Free Mods., 160* thermo., 3:73 Gears, MSD Coil & Wires
14.045 1/4m @ 99.52mph, 3816lb., sea level, 87*
Z28SORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:19 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Compstall
I've had my car long enough to know how it runs. It typically goes up 10-15 degrees.
Measure with micrometers, mark with a scribe, chop with an axe..
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:58 PM   #8

AC takes my car temps down. Turns the fans on sooner in traffic... keeps temp around the 1/4 mark.
1995 Black Z28 Vert A4: 1LE Intake Elbow, K&N CAI w/ AMSOIL conical filter, TB Bypass, !AIR, LT4 KM, Magnaflow Catback, 30# Injectors, Revalved Bilsteins, Hotchkis Springs, Addco Adjustable PHB, Rebuild@166k. Opti, !CAT, 35mm Strano Swaybar,Yank 3400 Stall, MAC mids, Poly Ball Tubular LCA's, Relo. Brackets, UMI Chrome Moly STB, CPT Trans, B&M Cooler
TobyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:28 PM   #9
ut

If you have AutoZone out there you can borrow a cap and radiator pressure tester.
ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by toby360
AC takes my car temps down. Turns the fans on sooner in traffic... keeps temp around the 1/4 mark.
that's what happen before my waterpump took a dump on me. i replace the waterpump, and reprogram my cooling temp to 185* and BoOm.... now as soon as the AC's on. the temp is crawling up....

what do i have to do???

Quote:
Originally posted by Compstall

the temp. rising with the AC on never happen before. usually, as soon as i turn on the AC, the temp goes down to 1/4 mark. but now, it's creeping up slowly.....

maybe i need to reprogram my fans not to shut off untill i reached the speed of 45 MPH

Last edited by TMDZ28; 09-13-2003 at 02:52 PM.
TMDZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:12 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to gb95zconv
Quote:
Im with Brent on this one....my temp goes up 10-20* when the ac is on...now befor I started using the 160* tstat and reprogramed the fans the reverse was true.
gb95zconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by gb95zconv
Im with Brent on this one....my temp goes up 10-20* when the ac is on...now befor I started using the 160* tstat and reprogramed the fans the reverse was true.
You guys that are having this problem have other issues in your cooling system if this is truly what is happening. I found out when mine was doing it that I needed to do a heater core flush. Since the flush, my temp goes down, and stays steady.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:21 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to JSK333
My temp goes up too when the A/C is on. And when it's not, my car runs cool.

I checked with a logger, and you can see that the A/C adds load onto the engine. Just at idle it'll go from ~30kpa to about 38-39kpa. That will make the engine run hotter, no doubt, even if the fans come on.
LT1 PCM Tuning Tips
JSK333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Mine stays at about the 1/4 mark as well with AC on, if I turn it off the temp goes to about 1/2, more if I'm in traffic.
Z28max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:55 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to 96redformula7
My radiator cap lost complete pressure within 5 seconds on the cap tester and it DID CAUSE A HIGHER TEMPERATURE!! I put on a new cap and like everyone else now with 160 t-stat, watter wetter, new radiator and waterpump, I usually do not pass the 185 mark unless I turn the car off, back on, then off again, then back on. I wish i had replaced the cap before I did all that stuff though, andyes the temp should be slightly higher with the ac on, cause it will send heat into the engine bay.
96redformula7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:55 PM

Reply Post New Thread