LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What to do with this wire? also a burning question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 PM

What to do with this wire? also a burning question?

MY taylor Wire Spiro Pro set for my 97 z28 came with 10 wires. I haven't figured out where the last one goes. Its less than a foot long and both of the end connectors are 180degree socketes. so basically it is a straight cord. I think it would be a good idea to use it because my stock wires are wrecked. A picture would help.

Also, wire to cylinder 7 is touching the manifold in one spot because it is impossiblew to squeeze the wire through the stock passageway. I got it all tied up along the right wall of the underhood in some kind of clip. I Is it ok to let the wire touch the manifold seeing that it srated up to 600* and the old wire was routed near the manifold? I put some plastic insulator there just in case for now but the plastic case is melting slowly.

Tahnks for the help.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:37 PM

Re: What to do with this wire? also a burning question?

The short wire is for your Coil if it has straight boots on both sides. Also don't let your wires touch your manifolds.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:38 PM

Sometimes they package an alternate coil wire with the set. You are asking for a burned wire and future trouble if you leave one against the manifold.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:06 PM

Alright, how do i get wire to number 7 through that groove where the stock wire was? I tried fishing it through with no luck.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:51 PM

i just recently replaced my wires with taylor 8mm and they are all in the stock locations including number 7. it took a while and alot of swearing and throwing things trying to fish the wires but it was possible.

on my 95 i just had a long metal shield and the wire fits inside behind the manifold so i would think your 97 is the same.

there are a couple small bolts that were hard to get at that holds that metal strip up there. take the bolts out or do like me i just took out the rear one and that let me drop the metal enough that i could squeeze that wire back into the stock groove and then tightened it back up.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:35 PM

It is true but really difficult. You can fit the wires in the stock locations. It doesn't work 100% perfect though right at the bend under the power steering pump, under the alternator, but it will be very close. It takes alot of effort and small hands help.

If I remember right, they gave my friend an extra wire as well. Its at my house and his car runs so it has to be extra.

for people who aren't interested in racing a lot I recommend them getting the GM 7 mm wires or just finding 7 mm wires. there a lot less headache.