LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

what to do first??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:44 AM

what to do first??

ok guys. I finally paid off my 97 LT1 z28 (auto). The car has 120k miles on it but has been well maintained. call me crazy, but i have decided to keep the car. I would like to start fixing it up (nos/supercharger out of the question). The car is stock besides a flowmaster I had put on a long time ago (i bought the only exhaust name i knew at the time). lets say i give myself a strict budget of $1,000 over the next 6 months (maybe more later). What should I start with? headers?? cam?? what should be my first priority? what do you guys consider most important? Yes I know this subject has been discussed time and time again. I have searched through the threads but would like some fresh input.

or....i have been told that the avg. tranny lifespan is 120-130k miles. should i forgo any mods and start saving for likely upcoming problems. how many miles do some of you guys get on your stock trannys?

thank you for your time
Old 10-06-2004, 04:40 AM

Re: what to do first??

Originally Posted by texas_z28_guy30
ok guys. I finally paid off my 97 LT1 z28 (auto). The car has 120k miles on it but has been well maintained. call me crazy, but i have decided to keep the car. I would like to start fixing it up (nos/supercharger out of the question). The car is stock besides a flowmaster I had put on a long time ago (i bought the only exhaust name i knew at the time). lets say i give myself a strict budget of $1,000 over the next 6 months (maybe more later). What should I start with? headers?? cam?? what should be my first priority? what do you guys consider most important? Yes I know this subject has been discussed time and time again. I have searched through the threads but would like some fresh input.

or....i have been told that the avg. tranny lifespan is 120-130k miles. should i forgo any mods and start saving for likely upcoming problems. how many miles do some of you guys get on your stock trannys?

thank you for your time
There are some performace shops online that offer performance packages. I would go that direction if I were you. Check Camaroz28.com's sponser page.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:43 AM

STALL THAT MOTHER B!TCH!!!!

Get a Vig 2800 No more than $800 I think and it'll drop your ET about .5 tenths or so. Thats with traction though....
Old 10-06-2004, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Loony
STALL THAT MOTHER B!TCH!!!!

Get a Vig 2800 No more than $800 I think and it'll drop your ET about .5 tenths or so. Thats with traction though....
He has a 97 with 120 on the clock.. its a very drivin car. Thats why I said to go with the performance pkg. Istead of something thats going to make him spin and jerk aroudn while he is driving.. Stalls are nice though I suppose, I have an M6 so I wouldnt know.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:58 AM

start with a good cold air induction....K&N, morosso, SLP...all about the same price...go with personal look preferance.

what rear gears do you have? if you can select 1st than don't worry aboutit cause you have the performance option. if not, than you have 2.73 gears. the car will really wake up by putting some 3.73s in, and shouldn't hurt your gas milage too much.

or headers. pacesetter now makes affordable longtubes. do you need to worry about emissions?