LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

what can i use to keep the ls1 injectors in the fuel rail, what kind of clips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:06 PM

what can i use to keep the ls1 injectors in the fuel rail, what kind of clips?

ive recently installed the slp fuel injectors and they wont stop coming out of the fuel rail, not completely but just enough for them to leak. i think the fuel pressure is forcing them out. i also installed thicker o rings bc the problem was worse with the stock ones. i couldnt use the stock retainer clips that clip[ to the fuel rail but is there anything else i can use to keep them in.

thank you

justin
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 PM

Re: what can i use to keep the ls1 injectors in the fuel rail, what kind of clips?

someone must know something, i just dont want my car to catch on fire bc of the leaky injectors.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:52 PM

Re: what can i use to keep the ls1 injectors in the fuel rail, what kind of clips?

Originally Posted by MonkeyManZ28
i just dont want my car to catch on fire bc of the leaky injectors.

What he said !!!

I just ordered a set of these from SLP today... I had an old $100 gift certificate I needed to use. Hopefully we can figure this out !
Old 09-28-2004, 01:59 PM

I've had a set of 24# and a set of 42# SVO injectors and with both I didn't like the fit as it seemed to loose. I put an extra o-ring up into the rail and have not had any problems in 3 years. It seemed like the injectors were too short in my case. Not sure if this is the same problem you're having.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:07 PM

I just used a Dremel with a cutting wheel and continued the clip circle all the way around. Very easy, efficient and you couldn't tell it was cut.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:07 PM

I just called Dana @ SLP about this... He said get some "plain 1/2" E clips" from home depot or wherever, & put them in the bottom groove of the injector & everything will be OK

My injectors will be here in a couple days & I have to go to the HD for a few things anyway so i'll see how it works in a few days
Old 09-28-2004, 03:02 PM

heard about the 1/2 clips from home depot but i dont know where to put them, i really need to see it visually. what do the e clips look like. i picked some up and they looked like they wouldnt fit. if you have any pics or detail instructions i would greatly appriciate. thank you
Old 09-28-2004, 03:06 PM

I have LS1 injectors in my car, didn't do anything special, they stay in there just fine.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyManZ28
heard about the 1/2 clips from home depot but i dont know where to put them, i really need to see it visually. what do the e clips look like. i picked some up and they looked like they wouldnt fit. if you have any pics or detail instructions i would greatly appriciate. thank you
When my injectors get here I'll take some pics. Probably wont be for a few days though...I'm using a gift certificate to buy them which I mailed out today, as soon as they receive it theyre shipping the parts.

I have not seen them in person yet, but from what Dana told me theres some grooves in the injectors & the clips go in the lower one.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 PM

I responded to your PM question but for everyone elses benefit I'll give a little detail.
I told SLP about my E-Clip fix after I had the same problem of fuel presure pushing the injectors out and causing leaks (they are slightly shorter than stock). I looked at the bottom goove and thought that an E-Clip in there might work well as a solid stop to keep the injector from being pushed too far into the intake (and out of the fuel rail). I was at Home-Depot and looked through their MSP bins and took a chance that the 1/2" Plain Steal E-Clips would work. Well I couldn't believe that they fit just like they are made for it.
Just re-seat the injector into the fuel rail so you can see the bottom groove, then insert the E-Clip into the bottom groove, you can set the E-Clip on the intake injector boss and push it into place with a large flat blade screwdriver.
If it's still unclear I'll try to take some pictures when I get back in town.

Good Luck,

PS. The car ran well initially and got steadilly better over the next couple of weeks, I'm assuming that it took a little while for the computer to adjust to the change from old 170k mile 22lb stock injectors to the new 25lb ones.