LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What Are Best Camaro LT1 Plugs Wires?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:29 AM

Question What Are Best Camaro LT1 Plugs Wires?

Hey there car junkies. I have a 1995 Camaro Z28 with a LT1 motor. It's about to that mile range where I feel it's time to pamper my baby and put new plugs and wires on her. This vehicle is mostly factory, I have added a cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust, but that's it. All other things (including distributor) are factory. I want to know what are the best plugs and wires, as far as life-span, spark strength, power, vitamins for the motor, etc. are. I don't plan on changing anything with the ignition or anything, I just want the best out there to keep a factory vehicle running strong and destroying Mustangs every now and then when it(I) feels like it.

In all of my previous vehicles (non-Camaros, I have changed and left the darkside to find the light) I have used Iridium plugs on them and I plan to do the same on this one as well. As an example, Honda seems to be big into the NGK brand of plugs. So for this vehicle, with AC Delco being the factory replacements, is the AC Delco Iridium spark plug the best replacement, or is another brand of spark plugs proven to be better? Or, possibly, do these vehicles not like Iridium and is something like platinum better? (Again, no change in ignition or the distributor, so quadfires are out of the question).

And then the question comes to wires. Are any brands supposed to be especially good for the vehicle? I understand many who would swear by MSD or the like for vehicles that have been upgraded for racing, but again this is factory. I want the best wire for delivering the most power to the plug on a factory setting, with the best longevity, heat resistance, etc.

Basically, my car is my baby. I like to push it hard now and then, but for the most part I like to keep it as a dependable, daily driver. I want what is best for engine life, performance, gas mileage would be nice (this vehicle can blow a 4-banger out of the sky on the highway, my lead foot causes 14mpg city though). Also of course, I'd like longevity. I like working on this vehicle so I am not thinking of something to put in and forget exists, but something worth its money. Speaking of money, it is on the back burner as far as issues. I have looked around and found that factory AC Delco wires for all eight and a coil are about 60-70 dollars and for a set of eight Iridium plugs I am looking at about 50 bucks. So basically if it ends up somewhere between 90-150 dollars but makes my baby purr at me, I'm a happy camper. What do you guys think? I plan on changing them during the Holidays so the sooner I get advice the better. Thanks for reading, a double thanks for responding; I may not go with the opinion I get, but I treasure them all.

BTW; this may be common knowledge, but I just found it out. Is your Camaro having heater issues? Mine sure did. I could drive and it was kinda warm, pleasant room temperature, but in idle and the like, nothing more than cool air. The vehicle also if it idled long enough would try to get hot even with both fans working (never red lined since I made sure it didn't, never an issue when driving). When I went to change the radiator fluid, I read on an F-Body forum that you can pop the two heater hoses from the water pump, hook a garden hose to one, run water through it until it flushes clean, then the other. I created a garden hose connection (bought at Wally world for 2$) to some scrap heater hose, turned the water on and flushed it, did so on each line a couple of times. My heater will make your eyes water, no more warm issues. So if anyone has a weak heater, overheating issues and your fans work, try that. If only I had been the first owner, that would have never have had to happen. Why can't more people love their cars and feed them nothing but high octane and Lucas Chocolate? Sorry for ranting, thanks.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 AM

Magnacore.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 AM

For you, stock AC-Delco wires would be perfect. No fitment problems like with some larger aftermarket wires.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:59 AM

I just did the same thing with my 94Z everyone told me to go with the AC delco platnium pn 41-906 there about 5-7 dollars each. You can find a deal on ebay sometimies. The wires I was told to use MSD SuperConductor PN 32143 through summits ebay store for 135 shipped, they are a little larger than the stock ones so they won't fit in the holders. I used zip ties and it worked great. Be prepared if you have never done this before it is a royal pain in every part of your body LOL. Let us know if you need any help. Greg
Old 12-20-2008, 09:07 AM

I have to agree with shoebox. I ran the taylor wires for a while but could not get them routed behind the PS pump pulley right and ended up cutting through two of the wires. replaced those with some 30 dollar cheapies from local parts store. car has never run better and fit perfectly. personally i feel if you are not running any other upgraded ignition components then you are going to notice anything with just plug wires.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

I'm with Rob/Shoebox too..... a set of stock AC/Delco (Delphi) 7mm wires is more than adequate for a "stockish" engine. The 8.5mm MSD SuperConductors are great wires, but you don't need them, and they are difficult to install in a stock setup.

For plugs, consider the NGK TR55-IX Iridium plugs. I had major problems with the stock AC/Delco platinum plugs losing the little platinum pucks off the center electrode and ground strap... but that was many years ago. Maybe they've improved them.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:51 AM

I'm running 8.5mm MSD wires. I am sure some nice AC Delco wires will work fine for you however, I tend to go overkill on things sometimes.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
I'm running 8.5mm MSD wires. I am sure some nice AC Delco wires will work fine for you however, I tend to go overkill on things sometimes.
same..

for you a good set of oem replacements are usualy the way to go. if you have major modifications like nitrous or a stroker or supercharger, then maybe plan ahead and get msd's or something
Old 12-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

The OEM wires were made by Packard, another GM parts division. Packard made some of the best ignition wires available. I'm not sure if Packard got spun off with the Delphi deal.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM

I've never used anything but the factory wires on my car. People obsess too much about plug wires. There is a point where "bigger" does nothing more for you.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I've never used anything but the factory wires on my car. People obsess too much about plug wires. There is a point where "bigger" does nothing more for you.
It's not the size that matters, it's the resistance in the wires. The size is usually just more shielding.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 AM

I dont know much about the wires bt ima buy this set and hope for the best its reasonably priced

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/_Car-Tru...dZm270Q2el1313
Old 12-21-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by YoungCompton
I dont know much about the wires bt ima buy this set and hope for the best its reasonably priced

YoungCompton, I am not so sure recommending 10.2 mm wires is a good idea. They simply won't fit well on an LT1. Also, due to the work it takes to 'wire' an LT1, bargain ebay generic wires are not on my short list.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by YoungCompton

Good luck routing 10.2mm wires. Not only are you making it hard on yourself, but its a waste. Max I would go is 8.5mm.

Edit: Thought you was op.

Last edited by bombebomb; 12-21-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Green96Z
It's not the size that matters, it's the resistance in the wires. The size is usually just more shielding.
I was not strictly using bigger as meaning size. That's why I had in quotes. People think bigger is better and you are correct, it is the resistance that is important. However stock wires have lots more resistance as compared to some advertised aftermarket wires and they still work great. There is a point where lower resistance no longer matters. The spark provided cannot make use of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Are Best Camaro LT1 Plugs Wires?