LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What is this???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM

What is this???

Again my venture into the car world beyond the
70s has me scratching my head. I have this 4 inch rubber cylinder type object with heat resistant tape on the back driver's side of my 93 LT1 engine. It's actually hanging by the single wire attached to it and appears to have a reset type of button on the end. I searched and other than seeing one on another LT1 engine picture I can't find a thing. Please someone take me out of my misery and make me feel dumb at the same time by explaining to me WTF is it?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: What is this???

Maybe we can help if you post a photo, or a link to that picture you saw online.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 PM

I don't know how to upload a piucture from my computer to this thread
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM

Here is a photo of an LT1 engine on Ebay with the item I am talking about. It is the small bottle shaped thing hanging just behind the drivers side head with the heat tape on it.

1993 Camaro Firebird 5 7L 350CI LT1 Engine w Manual T56 Transmission Used | eBay
Old 07-29-2015, 06:41 AM

I believe that is for oil pressure sensor. If you look at that photo you posted, It goes right above the oil filter.

Last edited by Pullngz; 07-29-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:24 AM

No the oil pressure sensor screws into the block. This just dangles by the wire. How could it know the oil pressure? Also, it appears to have a reset type nutton.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by surreybrad
No the oil pressure sensor screws into the block. This just dangles by the wire. How could it know the oil pressure? Also, it appears to have a reset type nutton.
The one in the picture is broken off. That is why it is dangling by the wire.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I suspect he thought is was broken off from the stock oil pressure sensor threaded base. The cylindrical oil pressure sensor is broken off in the photo you linked. I'm sure he didn't think that it could magically read the oil pressure without being connected to the engine.

That particular configuration may be unique to the 93 LT1. I've never seen anything like that with heat tape, and possibly a rubber boot on a 94-97. I looked in the 93 factory manual, and it isn't shown as a component hanging from a wire.

What color is the wire inside the plastic wire loom? Might be able to track if from the wiring diagrams.

Just for reference, this is the mid-94 to 97 oil pressure sensor, which is mounted on the back/top of the block. Not sure if the 93 sensor is the same, but this one is cylindrical.

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/op_sensor.jpg

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-29-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM

The wire is brown. You might remember I asked about the oil sensor a couple months ago and it being broken. That they gave me a 2 wire sensor but 93 is only one. You advised me in '93 it's located above the oil filter instead of at the back of the engine. Last week I was finally able to locate a 1993 oil sensor. It has a clip for a single wire. What confuses me is how does this attach to the sensor? In the photo you can see the 93 oil sensor. Could it be the rubber cylinder goes over it and plugs on that way? Anyway, the brown wire.... NEWS FLASH! Once again you guys have nailed it. I used needle nose and pulled the inside of the rubber and out comes the broken part of the old sensor. Thanks again. 50 more posts and I should know this new fangled stuff. Love that LT1 though when you need to dodge Vancouver drivers texting or putting on make-up.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Does your oil pressure gauge work correctly?

Does your engine look just like the one in the picture you linked, with regard to the oil pressure sensor, above the oil filter? If so, the body of the oil pressure sensor is broken off, and the only part still there is the threaded piece that screws into the engine block. Look at Shoebox''s photo. The part screwed into the block in your linked picture is similar to the silver part at the end of the Shoebox oil pressure sensor that is screwed into "angle fitting #1". But the 93 doesn't have the angle fittings.

There should be a cylinder, similar to the one shown in Shoebox's picture, that is attached to the silver part that screws into the engine. The wire will connect to the sensor only when the complete sensor is there. Pull the rubber boot back from the hanging cylinder (if that's what is on the cylinder) and you should see the same connection that Shoebox's picture shows. Note the brown wire.

Here is Rob's picture of the sensor without the wire attached:

http://shbox.com/1/oil_pressure_sensor.jpg

I suspect the 93 sensor is protected by the boot and the heat tape because of it's location so close to the manifold and exhaust pipe.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Glad you got it figured out Brad.