LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:05 PM

Re: Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....

I would like to be sympathic to your loss but I am currently running a Walmart oil filter. I always check the filter to make sure it matches the box. Mainly because I would not want to drive back to the store to exchange it (comes with experience). At least this is a wake up call to all of us that have read your posting.

A straighter line is maintained by keeping your head up and looking further down the road.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:19 PM

I do think you are screwed as walmart didn't do the work. You should have checked it for leaks after start up. I always check my car for leaks before i drop it on the ground. Also this should be your punishment for using a low grade oil filter. I've heard lots of horror stories of the Filter material inside (Fram) filters coming loose and plugging up the motor and starving the motor of oil.

Last edited by Z95m6; 09-20-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Don't know about anyone else, but I ALWAYS look at my oil pressure gauge on the first startup after changing the oil. You never know when you might forget something.
Me too,I also fill the filter with oil before I screw it on.

Sorry to hear about your engine.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:52 PM

I didnt read your first reply close enough.. I thought wal-mart changed your oil. Now that I see it was actually you who changed it I think you are SOL.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:15 PM

I would complain to Fram. Their filters fail alot. I knew a guy who had one that screwed up his twin turbo 3000gt. They paid for an entirely new engine and turbos. Much more expensize then LT1's IMO. Fram knows they make a cheap product, and knows that their products occasionally fail. I'm sure they havent invested in some state of the art boxing machine that can't possible make a mistake. Or if they have you could have just had some disgruntled ricer switch filters becuase he's jealous of your oil filter displacing more then his entire engine.

I'd go for Wal-mart, then Fram. I dont think it was eithers fault since you should have checked it before you put it on. Even putting that asside i think someone in wal-mart probably made the switch. I definately wouldnt have driven it home with no oil pressure though. That's vehicular suicide.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:25 PM
WOT

Thumbs down Re: Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....

Originally Posted by ShawnMacAnanny
I'd go for Wal-mart, then Fram. I dont think it was eithers fault since you should have checked it before you put it on. Even putting that asside i think someone in wal-mart probably made the switch. I definately wouldnt have driven it home with no oil pressure though. That's vehicular suicide.

This whole topic belongs in the lounge. Why is it Walmarts or Fram's fault? You know the only people that will end up paying for this are the customers. Is nobody to be held accountable for their own mistakes anymore? Wal-mart/fram owes him the price of the filter nothing more. The filter did not fail. The filter clearly states it's part number on the case. If you make a mistake like this you are incompetent and don't need to be changing your own oil.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by WOT
This whole topic belongs in the lounge. Why is it Walmarts or Fram's fault? You know the only people that will end up paying for this are the customers. Is nobody to be held accountable for their own mistakes anymore? Wal-mart/fram owes him the price of the filter nothing more. The filter did not fail. The filter clearly states it's part number on the case. If you make a mistake like this you are incompetent and don't need to be changing your own oil.
I said it wasn't either's fault , but that he might be able to get something out of it. It coulda have been either of their faults. But it ultimately was the installers fault. You should be able to trust a company to put the right product in the right box, and should be able to trust a store to keep its merchandise intact. I don't, but i still think they should atleast pay for the filter and oil. The filter definately, the oil maybe since you shoulda seen it leaking once you filled and started the car up.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:57 PM

so if i buy a taco at Taco Bell and get Diarrhea and stain my car seat is it TB's fault for selling me the taco or is it Depends fault for not having a leak proof adult pullup? DAMN wait i think it is Walmarts fault because there was new thong depends in a regular box and that fu**er leaked! Never mind i should have notice something wrong cause it was ridin up my butt cr***

Last edited by 944v8inDFW; 09-20-2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 944v8inDFW
so if i buy a taco at Taco Bell and get Diarrhea and stain my car seat is it TB's fault for selling me the taco or is it Depends fault for not having a leak proof adult pullup? DAMN wait i think it is Walmarts fault because there was new thong depends in a regular box and that fu**er leaked! Never mind i should have notice something wrong cause it was ridin up my butt cr***

Awsome post BTW i just sold a porsche 944 which i did a custom Digital dash on. It's on the same site as my firebird.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:23 PM

From what I read... you don't need to be turning wrenches on cars unsupervised. You used some seriously bad judgement... learn from it and don't blame others for your inexperience.
Any yes why is this in a Tech Forum???
My .02
Steve...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 PM

man this is too funny........I just read this today and afterwords went out and changed my oil. I was cautious as hell after reading this and funny thing is that it helped me out. I ended up installing my k&n hp3002 filter with the old gasket off my other filter still on there (doh!) I wasn't paying too close of attention and just screwed the new one on.......something didnt seem right, but it was kinda dark down there and I just tightened it and figured it was ok. I started up the car and oil flowed out quickly....I shut it off after like 2 seconds tops and never lost any oil pressure because I filled my oil filter all the way up prior to install. (normally I stay in my car and just look at the oil pressure gauge at startup, but this time I was outside my car and noticed the leak instantly) I looked down there and saw a torn piece of the old gasket hanging off and I about kicked my own *** for being so stupid. I lost about a quart maybe 1 1/2 quarts of oil which kinda sucks cause I use redline synthetic which is 7.50 a quart.....but oh well. One of the main reasons why I didnt even think to check that the old gasket was off is because I thought k&n was superior quality and it wouldnt come off and stick up there like some of the cheaper ones, but I was wrong. Bottom line is that you can never be too careful when it comes to your oil, because it could be one of your most costly mistakes.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnMacAnanny
I said it wasn't either's fault , but that he might be able to get something out of it.
Wow
I think he already got something out of it
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bud M
Wow
I think he already got something out of it
yep a boat anchor with 4 wheels around it And pay jiffy lube $19.95 to change the oil in the future.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:56 PM

Whoever packaged the filter deserves a good portion of the blame. People dont buy things expecting that the box will lie about what's in there. He installed the part thinking it was correct because that is what the box said and he trusted the label. He did not put in a bad part on purpose. If his inexperience had damaged the motor and this had nothing to do with the part, then the company would not be liable. However, this damage occured due to the part itself.

Get a free consultation from a lawyer. Thats the only way to know for sure to what extent the manufacturer is liable for mispackaging parts and to what extent you are responsible for knowing that the part in the box is not what the box says it is.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 AM

Maybe another customer swapped it...always, always, always check your parts or write the nice man in the service department a check instead.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....