LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:10 PM

Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....

For those of you who didn't read my post last night....

I got a PH30 oil filter from wally world (at least I thought I did). I got everything changed and I cranked it up. A few seconds later.....tap tap tap. It turned out that the filter inside the PH30 box was actaully a PH25 filter. It didn't fit perfect, so ALL the oil came out of my engine and the damage was done. I thought maybe it just did some damage up in the heads, but whatever it is, has stopped it from running. She died on the way home from school today.

There was no really loud tapping when it cutt off. The SES light came on and thats all she wrote. She did, however, start back up and I was able to limp home. I wanted to play it safe, so I didn't exceed 20mph. (It was only 1 mile away)
Old 09-20-2004, 02:14 PM

Re: Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....

wasn't your oil pressure dropping fast??? If so I would have shut it off and called it a day. As to not cause anymore damage no way I would have drove it
Old 09-20-2004, 02:19 PM

first clue..should been the fact that it didnt fit perfect..if it didnt I wouldnt have installed it
Regardless..if the filer is different from the one in the box..you MAY be able to complain to the store manager..I do know for a FACT experience wise..they will compensate for things they've messed up on due to their 'customer satisfaction garuntee'..I worked there for 2 years and we gave in to a lot of wierd complaints. Anyways..other than the fact that you should have checked the part number on the filter (I do anyways) before installing it...thats your only argument against you. Tell the store manager..you have your reciept for a PH30 (fram Im assuming, since PH is fram and I think thats actually what I have right now lol)...and show him the filter you have..then show him some pictures underneath where the oil gushed out..and explain to him the problems you now have. I dont know if it will do any good, but if you put up enough of a fuss..ATLEAST you can probobly get a gift card with a good amount on it im sure...
My friend had his car hit by a cart..did some easily fixed damage..but he made such a fuss about it (89 IROC) they PAID him $950!!! to avoid an incident. ($950 is nothing to walmart..the 5 CEO's alone make $20.5 Billion a year..each! 4 are his kids..1 is his widowed wife).
Moral of the story, make the argument in your favor that they screwed up with the wrong parts..and you should be able to get SOME compensation out of it..something is better than nothing! Good luck man...always always check parts before installing
Old 09-20-2004, 02:28 PM

Don't know about anyone else, but I ALWAYS look at my oil pressure gauge on the first startup after changing the oil. You never know when you might forget something.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:32 PM

I always open the box and make sure its the right product and is not damaged or missing anything...

Live and Learn......
Old 09-20-2004, 02:37 PM

Sounds to me[unless your post isn't thorough?] that it didn't make rapping, tapping, knocking noises when it 'cut off' and you 'limped home'?
If it didn't, it wasn't 'no oil' that killed it..
How long did it run, and did it 'make noise' when you first noticed the 'pool' under it?[tapping is 'upper end' starvation, knocking is 'lower end' bearings]
If it isn't 'knocking or tapping' NOW, it may be another problem why it stalled..
Just food for thought here.. don't jump on the motor being wasted, til you're sure..
How's the oil pressure now?[or last time it ran..] and was it making any noises when you corrected the problem and refilled it[it would if it was wasted]
Old 09-20-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Don't know about anyone else, but I ALWAYS look at my oil pressure gauge on the first startup after changing the oil. You never know when you might forget something.
Ditto...I always check oil pressure, and check for leaks.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
ditto but im also paranoid seeing how i completely rebuilt my front of the car - became a habit to just scan all my guages about every 5 min
Old 09-20-2004, 02:49 PM

DO NOT TOUCH THE MOTOR! I work at wal-mart in the automotive dept and they should replace the motor as long as you havent tampered with the filter or the plug. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
DO NOT TOUCH THE MOTOR! I work at wal-mart in the automotive dept and they should replace the motor as long as you havent tampered with the filter or the plug. Good luck.
Well hell Brad you should have one of the guys that works there change your oil and forget to put the oil in, or leave out the plug and get a fresh LT1 out of the deal.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:07 PM

No offence, but you really shouldn't have run the car when it was leaking oil that heavily. All you can do now, is hope that Wal-Mart will pay to get fixed what is broken, even though its not 100% their fault.

Did you put the right size filter on now and put fresh oil in it? If you heard it knock, and that was enough to shut the engine down, chances are that there is some pretty serious damage. Limping it home that mile probably did more damage than you could imagine if it was out of oil.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:34 PM

Yeah.if your gauge hits zero...just tow it!! Been there done that..and I have a new engine because of my stupidity.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Retired

If I had 101k miles on my engine and they fuc*ed up, I'd be more than happy to burn that bitch up, too

Good deal

Mike
Old 09-20-2004, 04:40 PM

the key factor here is..HE installed the oil filter and oil..not WAL~MART...so the problem is its not really their fault..the ONLY thing I think he can get from this is a gift card They messed ONLY due to the fact that the wrong filter was in the box..but they didnt blindly install the wrong filter once it was outside of the box and visibly the wrong one..should have noticed too..isnt the PH25 smaller than the PH30? Our cars are definetly one of the things NOT included in the saying.."if it doesnt fit, force-it!" like I said before, good luck. you'll maybe get a small gift card out of it and thats about it..basically from yours and their standpoints..its your fault. Sorry man, but hey..now you have a valid excuse to get that twin-turboed 427 that we all would like to have (just make sure that on a motor like that..you DONT use the wrong oil filter )
Old 09-20-2004, 04:55 PM

You only have yourself to blame. By the way..didnt you check for leaks after filling it and starting it up?

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart cost me an LT1 today....