LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Very Important ? About Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 PM

Very Important ? About Timing

I have gotten two different answers from two different spec books. On a 97' V8 Camaro, there on holes on the camshaft sprocket, and the driveshaft, do they both go at a 12 o'clock setting, or are they at 12 and 6 o clock so that they are touching each other.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Banned

Re: Very Important ? About Timing

Originally Posted by CColtManM
I have gotten two different answers from two different spec books. On a 97' V8 Camaro, there on holes on the camshaft sprocket, and the CRANKSHAFT, do they both go at a 12 o'clock setting, or are they at 12 and 6 o clock so that they are touching each other.
You are reffering to the Dot to Dot setup for installing a camshaft is my guess.

The two dots need to be facing each other the Cam gear will have it at 6 o clock and the crank gear will have it at 12 o clock. You should really have a degree wheel kit to make sure that the camshaft is installed at the correct spot.

Bret
Old 09-28-2004, 08:11 PM

I read a book that they both had to be at 12. So that is wrong?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by CColtManM
I read a book that they both had to be at 12. So that is wrong?
No that is not wrong, but it is much harder to tell if you are perfectly lined up! just spin it a few times and line them up at 12 and 6. You don't want to mess this up.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:19 PM

I understand your confusion, as this used to confuse me. If you install both sprockets with the dots at 12 oclock, you will be at TDC of the compression stroke on the number 6 cylinder. If you install the dots at six and twelve(dot on top of crank gear and bottom of cam ger), you will be at TDC of the compression stroke on the number 1 cylinder. Either way is right. Since the cam turns at one-half crank speed, one turn of the crank will move the cam dot from the six to twelve o'clock positions. When installing a timing chain it is usually easiest to line the dots up at six and twelve oclock, and then rotate the crankshaft one turn so you are at TDC on #1. This is where you want everything when you install your distributor/opti. On traditional SBC's many people, myself included, have installed the chain dot to dot and forgotten to roll the engine over to #1 TDC. This results in a distributor that is 180 degrees off, and sometimes a carburetor fire from backfiring. I hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:19 PM

So you can do either one?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:20 PM

I see you're in Chicago Ridge. I live in Melrose Park. I don't know how close we are to each other, but if you need a hand with anything just let me know.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:23 PM

Don't forget that for every revolution of the cam, you get two revolutions of the crank. So, line the dots up so they "are touching". Turn the crank 360 degs with the chain on and both dots will be at 12 o'clock.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:24 PM

Thanks izzy. I am working on it with my best friend, so far so good. We are done with the tear down, just putting it together. We did both at 12 o clock, i hope that is right. But now you guys are confusing me?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:45 PM

That is right, some books say one way some the other,it'll only affect the way you install the dist. but make sure they are lined up with a straight edge first
Old 09-28-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by LT4orbust
That is right, some books say one way some the other,it'll only affect the way you install the dist. but make sure they are lined up with a straight edge first
There is only 1 way to install an opti!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Banned

Both ways are right,Both at 12 O'clock or crank gear at 12 and cam gear at 6 O'clock.Dot to dot is the easiest.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kreinmc
There is only 1 way to install an opti!
Well... thats what i'm saying, if you take the opti off one way ,turn the engine over 1 time ,the marks will still be lined up but the dist will have to be turned
Old 09-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Allright so both dots are at 12 oclock. I'm sticking with that. Thank guys! You just saved me about an hour!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:03 PM

It really makes no difference in how the motor will run (on an LT1). But as Kreinmc said, it's easier to get them lined up right "dot to dot".

Rich

Quick Reply: Very Important ? About Timing