LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Timing cover waterpump drive seal install, installation, this worked for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Timing cover waterpump drive seal install, installation, this worked for me

After wrecking two(2) brand new timing cover waterpump drive seals trying to install them over the waterpump drive shaft, where the fit is TIGHT I did some reseach and figuring and came up with a plan of action that finally worked for me.
This might save you the extra $30 and 2 hours of time it cost me to figure out.
In the end, this worked in both scenarios of installing the timing cover first, then the seal over the drive shaft and installation of the seal into the timing cover AND afterwards when I had to remove the complete timing cover and reinstall the same over the waterpump driveshaft.

I used a "Super" sized sharpie marker that I saw a picture of on shbox.com I think. They sell for about $2.75

I "pulled" the marker apart with the help of a vise, the vise holding the black pen nib hoder plastic and reefing/twisting the sharpie's main body tube off,...the guts stayed on the nib end section leaving a clean hollow tapered tube almost excatly the right diameter to allow me to slide the seal over front edge the waterpump drive and onto the shaft.

But it was'nt QUITE big enough and with my new found experience (and frustration) I knew that I could still tear the seal on the front edge of the waterpump drive shaft,....so I heated a 3/8" 3/8" drive socket in some almost boiling water(5 minutes) and dipped the sharpie marker pen body end into the water, about 1/2" deep for 30 seconds or so and then forced the sharpie body opening over the hot socket(I used a long 3/8" drive extension and pushed it onto the 3/8" socket which I had resting on it's nose in the hot water, then used the extension as a handle to lift out the hot socket) and pushed the two together untill I could see the sharpie pen body flaring a bit over the socket, I held it for a good minute like that untill the sharpie pen body hollow end retained the slightly flared end.

This was my installation tool.

I test fit it over the waterpump drive shaft but realised with trial and error that the installation tool could easily wobble off center,...so,...I took electrical tape,(slippery) and did 5-6 wraps around the waterpump shaft so that it held the installation tool nice and centered, but not tight enough to cause the tool to push the electrical tape onto the drive shaft.
I lubed it up and it worked PERFECTLY and the seal slide right onto the waterpump drive shaft with no obvious damage, the tool then pulled right off and I removed the exposed electrical tape and carefully banged on the seal with the biggest possible socket to place the driving forces near the outer lip of the seal,...again, this worked perfect.

When I had to remove the timing cover later to recheck something I used the same installation tool and again, it worked.

After all that,...the Sharpie pen was put back together and works as designed.

Cheers, I hope this can help someone else.

pics here:

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...-worked-for-me