LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

time for a Buick.....LoL

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 11:07 PM

time for a Buick.....LoL

Car has been running fairly well since tune up however,today I noticed upon moderate to heave acceleration, it sounded kinda "throaty" under the hood....I thought hmmm, sounds pretty cool but I also thought it seemed a little sluggish and it downshifted a little harder than the norm.
I was on the hgwy and cruising 65-70 and I repeatedly accelerated slowly to the point it had this sound and hard downshift untill......freakin thing slowly began to lose power to the point I was on the shoulder....hazards on and thinking "what the he##".
It reminded me of the time a few years ago my cat clogged and I had to have it towed.
anyway, I would limp along the shoulder till it almost died. i then shut it off a few min....2-3. restarted....had to hold the pedal down a little to keep it at an idle put it in gear and it would barely crawl.....untill i had to shut it off and repeat those stept to get off the hgwy. it ran hot too.
If an a/c compressor was locking up....could this happen ? it appeared to turn freely while turning it over w/key.
I had the a/c off during all this but kicked it on defog for a few secs at one point to clear the window.....and it barely did run then,so i turned it back off to regain a ...better idle speed "crawl" down the road.it also kinda acted and sounded like air flo was restricted...but all seemed clear

any input ?

thanks
~Dave

Last edited by Liquid Teal; 09-21-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:36 PM

Re: time for a Buick.....LoL

Is it possible there is a restriction in your exhaust? I have heard of people's cats plugging up and causing problems like that, although I don't know how sudden it was.

To check your pullies, you can just take the belt off and turn them by hand, they should all move without too much effort. After that I would move to the exhaust and the drivetrain.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:45 PM

I first noticed it yesterday...not too bad. today I drove on the hgwy and it seemed not bad at first...but after about 30 miles, it came on rather quickly...and the temp went way up too. kinda typical of a cat isnt it ?
I had a factory cat and y pipe put on only about 25000 miles ago.

thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 01:02 PM

Get the Buick.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:34 PM

now....THERES a man speaking from expierence !