LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Throttle Body Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 PM

Throttle Body Removal

With the weather finally warming up I'm planning on removing my throttle body to clean it out as well as cleaning the IAC. Is there anywhere that has a step by step on how to remove the throttle body? I searched and came up with nothing.

Also, I have a new set of gaskets for the throttle body, is there any sealant I need to apply to the new gaskets? RTV?

After I remove the throttle body, can I leave it in a bucket of cleaner or something to clean it over night, or is that not a good idea?

any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM

Re: Throttle Body Removal

don't use RTV
don't "dunk" the TB in something
Spray inside/out with "Throttle Body Cleaner"
Remove IAC valve and spray it and inside TB

Go buy a Haynes Service book at the auto part store

There may be a step by step if you do a search
Old 04-18-2014, 12:21 AM

Degreaser works best for cleaning the TB. You can submerge it as long as you remove the electrical components and gaskets first. Just make sure you follow the instructions on the degreaser so you don't pit the aluminum.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Administrator

When removing the throttle body, if you haven't done the throttle body coolant bypass, you have to disconnect the coolant supply and return hoses, and be sure to avoid spilling coolant on the distributor. My preference is to drain enough coolant out of the radiator to drop the level below the throttle body, but even then there will be some drips.

When cleaning the pintle on the idle air control valve, hold the valve with the pintle pointing down, spray the cleaner on the pintle, making sure it does not get into the electric stepper motor. DO NOT under any circumstances attempt to move the pintle or you will damage the valve.

If you submerge the throttle body, I'd do it after removing the top cover and the bottom plate. You have to make sure the idle air passages of free of solvent before reassembling everything. As I recall, there are screws with different lengths on the bottom plate..... be sure to put the correct length screw in the correct hole, or the plate will not tighten properly.

After cleaning, apply some oil to the blade shaft bearings.

I think I remember reading somewhere that GM does recommend that you use only "throttle body cleaner", as it is formulated to not damage the "anti-coking" coating on the blades. Not sure how important that is, but worth consideration.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I think I remember reading somewhere that GM does recommend that you use only "throttle body cleaner", as it is formulated to not damage the "anti-coking" coating on the blades. Not sure how important that is, but worth consideration.
yes, chemicals other than "throttle body cleaner" can damage the finish of the TB. This means DON'T use carb cleaner, degreaser, etc.

and as Injuneer notes don't push in printle end. clean as he describes
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 PM

thanks for the tips on cleaning. looking to tackle it sometime this week. I was originally going to replace the throttle plate gasket but I just went ahead and bought a whole new set. I've been getting a decent amount of oil blowback from the vent hose so i figured i would clean the whole thing
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Administrator

If you have a lot of oil coming in from the vent line for the PCV system, check the operation of the PCV valve. The air is supposed to flow from the port on the throttle body, in front of the blades, through the chamber on top of the TB, and out the hose to the passenger side valve cover, where the air is pulled through the crankcase and lifter valley by vacuum from the PCV valve. It only reverses flow, and entrains oil along the way, if the PCV valve is plugged, or there is excessive piston ring blowby.