LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

T56 Conversion or Hotcam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:20 PM

T56 Conversion or Hotcam?

I want better gas milage but I want MORE POWER! So its either save up and get a T56 or screw the gas milage and get a smaller cam and try to do some weight reduction.

Saving is a hard thing to do for me. So saving for a T56 conversion will take me a long time seeing how a T56 isnt cheap. Although a cam I just buy a couple things at a time till I have everything.

My car is a daily driver and probably drive anywhere from 200-350 miles a week. Car currently has 67,xxx miles.

Whatcha guys think

-Robert
Old 09-19-2004, 05:34 PM

Re: T56 Conversion or Hotcam?

well you could do the conversion 1st, so i suppose the learning curve would be easier that tryin to handle a car with 300+rwhp, and you'll get better gas mileage, and seeing the conversion can be done in a weekend, less down time. anyway thats what i'd do, but it's up to you to decide of course.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:46 PM

HOTcam. You'll love how it still has low end power but continues to pull to redline. Then get a mail order tune, and tell the tuner to lean your air/fuel ratio out big time at part throttle and that'll help out some.

I got about 22 mph with HOTcam, ported heads w/ larger valves, 2800 stall, bolt ons etc. on a trip that was 75% interstate/25% stop and go traffic in town.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:52 PM

the 3.73s will hurt your fuel economy on the highway. The t56 will fix that problem, and will also tranfer more power to your rear wheels.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:21 PM

My gas milage is pretty ****ty with A4 and 3.73s, but im dealing with it.

Ive never done a T56 swap before and I cant afford a T56 conversion package. I'd like to buy everything one by one....pedals, master/slave cylinders, bellhousing,gear box etc... But im really worried about getting all the bolts i need. Any ideas on that?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:31 PM

When i did my conversion the kit came came with all the bolts. But they have all the bolts you would need at home depot. It really isnt that hard to due. the hardest part for me was putting in the new pedal asmbly.

It wont cost a lot after you sell your old tranny and parts. Personaly I would install the hot cam. More power is too much fun to pass up.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Robert95z

Ive never done a T56 swap before and I cant afford a T56 conversion package. I'd like to buy everything one by one....pedals, master/slave cylinders, bellhousing,gear box etc... But im really worried about getting all the bolts i need. Any ideas on that?
Look up what the kits have. Or check out http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm

For tips on getting parts, look at http://www.skulte.com/T56.html.

More help is available on google search "t56 swap". good luck man.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:20 PM

Putting pedal assembly in = PITA.
Getting T56 transmssion in by yourself with no room for a jack = PITA

Having all the bolts and other parts will save you a lot of waiting and frustration. However, I would highly suggest that if you do the conversion, get some ARP bolts for the flywheel, new tranny mount, new clutch, and new clutch hydraulics. There's no way you'll want to pull that master cylinder out of the firewall and put another one in. U-Bolt = :evil: I had fluid squirting out the end of it every time I hit the clutch. Made it kinda hard to shift.

I suppose I wouldn't have such hard feelings if I hadn't done it all by myself. At least it works.

Also if you're any good at soldering you can just solder the wires right onto the connectors on the T56 and forget the expensive GM wiring connectors, and use epoxy to cover them up.

It took me several days of hard work to do it, and then a few more days just to get everything working right. I still don't have a speedo- waiting on Ion. Oh yeah- I got a Formula console with the transmission. I think I actually like it more than the Camaro one.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:33 PM

Bolts is the main thing im worried about. I do want new hydraulics and clutch, but im definetly worried about the bolts. If i can find a source of all the bolts and/or part #s it would make me want to convert even more. As of right now im kinda leaning towards the hotcam... But i know when my gas milage gets even worse i'll be extremely unhappy. I get 200-220 to a tank as of right now.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:32 AM

I think that having a Hotcam is alot of fun. It makes it sound awsome, and run awesome compared to stock. But swapping to a M6 made street driving 10 times the fun. It gives you more mileage, and you will want to drive it all the time. I would put in the M6 and then start the mods.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by GreenDemon
Putting pedal assembly in = PITA.
Agreed... i'd rather swap transmissions 5 times before swapping pedal assemblies again. Did the pedals a couple weeks before the trans swap... so the actual conversion from the time the car was put in the shop(A4) to the time i drove it out(M6) was about 11 hours. Did it by myself... if you have another person helping you could cut that down to about 8 hours or so. Pretty easy swap.

I was actually in this position last year.... cam or trans swap. Went with the trans for the fun factor. Glad i did too cause the M6 is a blast to drive and haven't raced it enough to warrant needing the extra power. That and the T56 is about damn bulletproof.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Robert95z

24 mpg on the way to iowa with 3.73's and an A4 averaging 75-80mph, around town is a different story
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 PM

what many of you arent realizing is that he wants to swap to a SMALLER cam, not a bigger one. He will be either LOSING power with the cam swap or changing transmissions. The endpoint being examined here is fuel economy, not power.

Thats why i recommended the M6 swap.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:50 PM

M6 swap and hardcore mods later when you can get a beater to drive back and forth. That way you get what you're looking for now and you can go ***** to the wall later on and trully be happy with the results.