LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Suggestions for heads with stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 AM

Suggestions for heads with stock cam

Ok, after getting the car completely put back together after changing the opti out, the thing would not circulate coolant, and was building pressure in the coolant lines. Not to mention the wonderful white steam coming from the pipes. After pulling the heads off to change the gaskets (assuming it was a head gasket issue), the gaskets checked put fine, but there appears to be a crack in the head. I was planning on changing them anyway, but was thinking the cam would be first. This wrenched that idea, and now I'm looking for some suggestions on heads that will work with a stock cam for the time being. Not looking for anything crazy, as it's a daily driver, but something that will get it running again with the potential for a good amount of power when I can get around to changing the cam. Trick flow's are looking decent, and I'm liking the price. Would those work? Anything $1500 and less is pretty much where I'm at, as we just bought our first house, and I can't go any higher than this,and I need it running by may 1st.

I'm pretty sure they are stock heads, but if they weren't, how could I find that out?
1996 z28, MSD coil, headers and exhaust mods (not sure exactly what they are)

Last edited by Axeslinger0u812; 04-12-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Kind of forgot important info
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Re: Suggestions for heads with stock cam

These are a great head under your budget too!

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/par...-heads-856206/

Here's the builders website:

http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=51

Last edited by 95zsean; 04-12-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 AM

I would just get a used set of stock heads. Ported stock heads are the best choice for most builds

If you really want to buy a new aftermarket casting I would look at the Trickflow 21 degree because it has a small chamber.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks likeon Elliot's site I could get those le1's with a cam and better springs for about $1500. Anyone know anything about these, or is anyone else running them?

I also looked up refurbished lt1 heads, and came up with cleggs machine shop. I don't know anything about them, so I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with the shop and whether refurbished heads would be a good idea?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM

The LE1 is a porting SERVICE you need good heads to start with
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Ah, ok. Must've misread it. I have a hard time trusting used/refurbished stuff, and do if anyone knows a reputable dealer, I would be perfectly happy putting stock heads back on. If not, I think I may go with those trick flow 21 degs. If I can find them in stock somewhere, lol.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM

Summit owns Trickflow so don't look too hard.

Far as missread. He did give you a link to the classifieds section where someone was selling them.
I would not bother with low level porting on heads though because then they are not worth doing over again to do right.
If you don't want to trust stock used stuff then look at the 21degree Trickflow.

If you decide you are willing to try used stock stuff then with your time constraints just use them stock and save up for a full port job later.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM

The heads I gave you a link to are without a core. Robsquikz28 are already done so there's no waiting and you only have to pay for shipping one way!! Lloyd has some of the best port work for LT1's!!! I have a old set of his LE2's with 2.00/ 1.56 valves and the work great. Search and you'll see LOTS of people use his stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-30400010 - Trick Flow® GenX® 195 Cylinder Heads for GM LT1 - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Could I run these without forced induction? They're the only ones summit has in stock that aren't edelbrock and in my peace range. If not, I may be grabbing those le1's, as I'm not finding any good stock replacements.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Trouble with those is the chamber is really big and will drop compression down fairly significantly. You could run them but they really aren't the best option for a naturally aspirated stock shortblock.

You might contact Golen, I know at one point he had some "new" OEM LT1 castings, if they are bare you could have they assembled locally with your existing hardware.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM

I dont understand whats the concern here. Do the heads you want now for the power you wish to have down the road, then swap the cam.

You can put any set of heads on stock motor with stock cam and still have good performance once retuned for it.

Guys have reported 30-40hp gains with stock cams on L98 motors after changing to heads like AFR 195's and similar. LSx guys have done stock cams and heads and made big power.

So look at the future cam swap, decide how big you want to go and get a head now that will fit that. Put them on, and retune and enjoy

If you'd be happy with 340-360whp in a cam only setup then just find a good set of stock heads to replace. If you wanted big numbers 400+whp, get a good set of ported stock castings or aftermarkets
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Don't go trying to use LS and TPI ideas on the LT1.

The only measure result I have seen from ported heads with a stock cam on an LT1 LOST 2hp.

Both of those engines also gain nicely from aftermarket intakes but our direct fit aftermarket intake option seems to possibly LOSE power.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
I dont understand whats the concern here. Do the heads you want now for the power you wish to have down the road, then swap the cam.

You can put any set of heads on stock motor with stock cam and still have good performance once retuned for it.

Guys have reported 30-40hp gains with stock cams on L98 motors after changing to heads like AFR 195's and similar. LSx guys have done stock cams and heads and made big power.

So look at the future cam swap, decide how big you want to go and get a head now that will fit that. Put them on, and retune and enjoy

If you'd be happy with 340-360whp in a cam only setup then just find a good set of stock heads to replace. If you wanted big numbers 400+whp, get a good set of ported stock castings or aftermarkets
LT1's are not LSx or L98's. just throwing heads on a stock LT1 wont gain you much.

axeslinger: i would get ahold of those LE1's before they sell if your gona do that... they seem to be popular and there are tons of people that run them. They would be a good head to use to build a fairly stout LT1 down the road.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Its a motor like anything else. You act like theres some magic to an LT1. L98 is a LT1 basically with the lack of reverse cooling and different intake. Its a SBC design. You can even use SBC parts on it if you do the conversion You can put a LT1 intake on a L98 and gain hp...i've done it with HSR and others done it with minirams which is an LT1 style intake.

Oh and if you didnt realize, L98 aluminum heads are VERY similar to LT1 heads

Have you seen different heads on a stock LT1? Have you personally done it? Even if it does lose 2 hp WHO CARES? its a temporary fix anyway. He's going cam in the future, so WHY CHANGE HEADS 2 times???? Unless you want more work for yourself.....

My friend ran stock LT1 cam in a vortec headed 355 and made close to 300whp with a dual plane carb intake. LT1 cam can work well, I fail to see how the intake causes major problems on the LT1 motor but doesnt seem to have a problem on any other motors using LT1 intakes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM

LT1 is not magic but that doesn't mean everything translates exactly either.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for heads with stock cam