LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SLP shorty header question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:13 AM

Exclamation SLP shorty header question

Yesterday i was putting my slp shorties on since my car is down due to a trany swap and after a bit of struggle putting them on i finally got em on, well the problem is on the passanger side i noticed 2 black tubes going into the firewall. One is maybe 34 an inch diameter the other (which is the one in question) is about 1 1/2 in diameter, well the big one actually rest on the header. I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem on a header install. Im worried that it'll just melt right through the tube and the big one actually looked like it ran into the water pump. i might of followed it wrong i didnt really look at it too closely but does anyone out there have any similuar experiences or suggestions. Also, side note. These slp headers make me wanna kill someone, i spent maybe 3 or 4 hours trying to get the back bolt started on the header, i put the front one in and tried to do the back so i could put the gasket on and it wouldnt go. Finally i picked another bolt on the header and got it started and tightened it a bit to stretch the header enough to start the back, ill just say its more of a pain than i anticipated. thx

Mark
Old 09-23-2004, 11:09 AM

Re: SLP shorty header question

are they single cat headers? It sounds like that hose is for your heater core if it goes to the water pump. Usually people only have problems with dual cat SLPs as far as being to close to hoses/heater box.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:16 AM

Just did headers on my 94. I just looked at it and don't see any tube you are describing. All I see is dipstick tube, and the AIR stuff.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:43 AM

I put a set of SLP shorties on my 97 about 6 months ago and ran into the same problem with the bolts and the clearance. I had to file a little on the back hole on the drivers side to get it started. I believe the two hoses you are talking about are the heater hoses and I too had problems with them being kinda close. I re-routed one of them (the one that was the closest to the header) by getting a coupler and adding a few inches of length to it and then routed it behind the other hose. It only gave me about 1-2 inches more clearance but it seems to have been enough. I also got some heat protective material (similar to the stuff that comes with them) and put three layers between the header and the hoses. It seems to have worked...haven't had any problems so far. My header is still only about 1/2 inch from the protective material but with the additional layers all seems to be fine. Hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1stz28
I put a set of SLP shorties on my 97 about 6 months ago and ran into the same problem with the bolts and the clearance. I had to file a little on the back hole on the drivers side to get it started. I believe the two hoses you are talking about are the heater hoses and I too had problems with them being kinda close. I re-routed one of them (the one that was the closest to the header) by getting a coupler and adding a few inches of length to it and then routed it behind the other hose. It only gave me about 1-2 inches more clearance but it seems to have been enough. I also got some heat protective material (similar to the stuff that comes with them) and put three layers between the header and the hoses. It seems to have worked...haven't had any problems so far. My header is still only about 1/2 inch from the protective material but with the additional layers all seems to be fine. Hope that helps.

ditto - except after 3 months the material fell off and header burned through dumping all my coolant - let me tell you - replacing those hoses are as bad as the header install
Old 09-23-2004, 01:20 PM

I did mine a year or so ago and I burned through that line... it is actually a heater core line... I went to advance auto and bought 6 feet of 3/4 heater core hose and routed it myself putting high temp tape around where the header would touch it... since then, I have go to Long tube headers and can honestly say, I'm so glad that I did... those SLP headers are a nitemare!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:02 PM

u would think as such an expensive product wouldnt cause so much **** and wouldnt be as crazy to put on, i thought the tranny swap was a bear at first but damn the headers make me wanna take my trany out once a day lol