LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Should I bleed the air out of the coolant after TB bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 03:28 PM

Should I bleed the air out of the coolant after TB bypass?

I just completed the TB bypass on my 95. I couldn't help but notice that as you un-hook the hoses from the throttle body a little bit of air gets into the hoses. This air is trapped in there after you reconnect the main hose. Should I bleed the system or is this small amount of air not going to do any harm. I drove the car and she stayed at normal temp while driving but the temp creeped up as it always does in stop and go traffic.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:38 PM

It is wise to take any air that is trapped out. So yeah it would be a good idea.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:42 PM

I believe you're supposed to put the radiator cap on when bleeding the air... but I could be wrong and that may be where my problems are coming from...

Are you using both bleeders?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:46 PM

Well I haven't done anything yet because i did not know if this was necessary or not. I wanted to see what other guys did after they did the TB bypass. Also, when I do bleed it using the two screws how long should I let it go. Meaning that the air could be farther down in the system somewhere and I do not want to let out to much coolant before they work their way out. Or does the air automatically collect up top there by the bleeder screws?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:46 PM

If you open the system in any way, you need to bleed it. Trapped air is bad mmmmmkayy. And I don't believe you need to have the cap on, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Although there is always the possibility that it could suck air.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:48 PM

when i did my bypass i didnt bleed the system...why dont you go take her for a run and youll know if you need to bleed her..simple as that
Old 11-21-2003, 03:51 PM

I didnt bleed mine and nothing seems to have changed so Im guessing its all good .
Old 11-21-2003, 04:10 PM

Well maybe I will bleed it for the hell of it. See if anything comes out. I just don't know how long to let the collant run out if I don't see any air at first. I hope it has worked its way to the top where the bleeder screws are. Should I do this with the car running to circulate everything.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:30 PM

Bleed the line until only coolant is coming out. If you don't see any bubbles at first let it drain for about five to ten seconds. Leave your radiator cap off. And don't run the engine while bleeding. I haven't done a tb bypass. But I was reading last nite on how to install a 160 thermo and that is how the instuctions said to bleed the coolant line. Also be careful not to spill any coolant on your opti. Hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by battosai
Bleed the line until only coolant is coming out. If you don't see any bubbles at first let it drain for about five to ten seconds. Leave your radiator cap off. And don't run the engine while bleeding. I haven't done a tb bypass. But I was reading last nite on how to install a 160 thermo and that is how the instuctions said to bleed the coolant line. Also be careful not to spill any coolant on your opti. Hope that helps.

Hey thanks man. That is exactly what I needed to read. Should the car be cool or hot when doing this? And which bleeder screw do I open?
Old 11-21-2003, 06:04 PM

I thought the car is supposed to be running when you bleed it. I may be wrong though. When i did the TB bypass i didn't bleed mine though. Everything seems fine. The car runs very cool.