LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

SES Code P0412 - Air Relay Control Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 01:03 PM

SES Code P0412 - Air Relay Control Circuit

My SES light came on today so I went to Auto Zone during lunch and got these codes:

P0412
P1641
P1642

I read in another thread that those three are related to the #7 underhood fuse. I know this might sound like an incredibly stupid question to most of you, but where do I find the underhood fuse box? I have a repair manual, but it's at home and I'm at work, sitting at my desk stressing out over this.

I stopped at a repair shop and talked to someone who said that this had to do with the air pump and emissions. He made it sound like I can still drive without problems, but that my gas mileage would get worse, driving might feel a little rough, and if I lived somewhere that does emissions testing, I'd be breaking the law.

If you have any experience with this, please let me know. Is this maybe a simple matter of replacing a blown fuse, or does it mean that something needs to be fixed which caused the fuse to blow? How much is this kind of fuse?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2003, 01:38 PM

I throw the same 3 codes quite often! p1641 and p1642 are the fan circut controls and po412 is the air pump, its simply a blown fuse, 25 amp, under the hood black box to the right says fuse relays or something its on the far right in the box 2nd down i think, clear 25 amp fuse, replace that, its blown! WHY it keeps popping for me I HAVE NOT A CLUE!!! maybe someone else can drop in and fill us in for that half......
Old 01-24-2003, 02:14 PM

If the fuse for fan circuit controls is out, does that mean that the fan might not be running properly? When the SES light comes on, I always pay close attention to the temp and it seemed to be running high. Although in these subfreezing temperatures, it's hard to say what "normal" is.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:40 PM

with that fuse blown, your fans are not working at all, its the temp that is in your favor, its a pain in the **** let me tell you, i pop the fuse once in the morning and its fine the rest of the day no matter how many more times i start it up, VERY weird if you ask me....
Old 01-24-2003, 02:48 PM

Check out these two links.

AIR pump recall

and

AIR PUMP BULLETIN

hope that helps

Jason
Old 01-24-2003, 03:10 PM

If something is recalled, does that mean I can walk into a dealer and have it fixed for free?
Old 01-24-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by kimquigley
If something is recalled, does that mean I can walk into a dealer and have it fixed for free?
Yes. You can call them ahead of time with your VIN to be sure that your particular car is covered under the recall.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:53 PM

Unfortunately, my VIN doesn't fall in the range

I went to Pep Boys and bought a fuse kit for $15, then replaced the #7 fuse. That didn't make the SES light go away, but I'm not sure if fixing the problem turns off the light or if you have to get it cleared. If I get it cleared, and replacing the fuse didn't solve the whole problem, would the numbers come up again?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:36 PM

The weirdest thing just happened. After I replaced the fuse, I drove home, then got back in the car and drove for 45 and stopped at a grocery store. As I was backing out of the parking lot, I felt a slight jolt, like you feel when you gently bump into a curb. At the same time, the SES light went out and then I noticed that the car was running significantly smoother. Vehicles generally aren't self-correcting. Wonder what really happened in there?
Old 01-24-2003, 08:51 PM

this might help

One way to clear any codes from the OBD II is to set the key to on and press the gas peddle to the floor three times. Don't know about other PCMs...

That "jolt" could have been the unclogging of a cat?
Old 01-25-2003, 05:24 PM

Does that really work to clear the codes and turn the SES light off? I've been pulling out my scanner every damn time.....
Old 01-25-2003, 05:46 PM

Re: this might help

Originally posted by pasmado15
One way to clear any codes from the OBD II is to set the key to on and press the gas peddle to the floor three times. Don't know about other PCMs...

That "jolt" could have been the unclogging of a cat?

Never heard of that. The only thing that does for me is reset the change oil light on my Grand Prix.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:04 PM

three times

This was straight from a GM tech after being told I would need an overhaul (this was 60k miles ago)... Guess he felt at ease to let this secret out thinking i was falling for the overhaul all due to low oil pressure. I just replaced the oil pressure sensor and that was that.

Remember, Magnolia is from the class of 1996 (OBD II). Numerous times, I have had to reset the ABS, Trac, Security and SES via this method.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:59 PM

Re: three times

Originally posted by pasmado15
This was straight from a GM tech after being told I would need an overhaul (this was 60k miles ago)... Guess he felt at ease to let this secret out thinking i was falling for the overhaul all due to low oil pressure. I just replaced the oil pressure sensor and that was that.

Remember, Magnolia is from the class of 1996 (OBD II). Numerous times, I have had to reset the ABS, Trac, Security and SES via this method.
All I can say is that must be an undocumented way of resetting the pcm, because nothing is mentioned in the factory service manual about such a thing.
A scan tool or removing the power from the pcm are the only options mentioned. You are the first person I have ever heard say this. I will have to say I am unconvinced.

Like I said, turning the key on and pumping the accelerator pedal three times within 5 seconds, resets my change oil light on my 1997 Grand Prix. Since OBD2 is a standard, you would expect that functions like that would be the same on all OBD2 cars.

Magnolia

Last edited by shoebox; 01-25-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:26 PM

Magnolia

Sorry about that... Magnolia is the one who I ride every night and day. No one else has driven her ever since we've been together (odometer reading 000066.6). Okay with a few exceptions, as needed and all due to professional reasons (mechanics, car wash attentants and such).

What this process does is to clear the error codes only... It's been able to turn off all those LED at one time or another to include SES-until the error code is generated again.

Quick Reply: SES Code P0412 - Air Relay Control Circuit