LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Security light/ Pass key problem

Old 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM

Security light/ Pass key problem

This problem happens off and on alot in the past month. Some times my car doesn't start and I have to wait the 3 mine for the security light to go off. Other times the security light comes on while I'm driving. I have tried both my keys and cleaned them both and I'm still having the problem. Some times I have to turn the key 20+ times before it will start.

Since I have tried both keys I'm assuming it is a problem with the lock cylinder not reading the keys. Is this expensive to get fixed? Can I fix it on my own? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:59 PM

Re: Security light/ Pass key problem

Been a long time since I was in Albany. Do you want the security function to work? As a test, to see if it's the key switch, measure the resistance of the key pellet. Get a resistor close to the value of the pellet. Find the orange jacketed wires at the base of the steering column. Put the resistor across the contacts of the wires. If the light goes out and stays out, you have a problem with the key switch. If it still has the same problem, then the problem is with the wiring to the PCM or the PCM itself.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:46 PM

Try the quick and dirty way first as metioned earlier. Otherwise your looking at around 230.00 I had mine done 2 weeks ago 91 labor, 91 for part 21 key tax and disposal fee.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:10 PM

camaro's and corvettes are bad about the wires breaking at the key cylinder. since it works on and off thats probably whats happening...it's a pain to fix them, so what i would do is either A. take the pallet and measure the resistance go to radio shack and sauter the resistor in at the bottom under the dash... they are two white wires and have a connector at the base of the steering column. or B. you could just sauter the actual pallet in there....i don't recomend taking the column apart because its a tough job... there are circle clips on the steering shaft that are a pain. that will save you a lot of money, but your security system won't work... do you unlock your car with your key ? or with the keyless entry? next time get out and unlock the car with your key and see if that fixes it.. if so you'll need a new key fob!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by slopokrodrigez
Been a long time since I was in Albany. Do you want the security function to work? As a test, to see if it's the key switch, measure the resistance of the key pellet. Get a resistor close to the value of the pellet. Find the orange jacketed wires at the base of the steering column. Put the resistor across the contacts of the wires. If the light goes out and stays out, you have a problem with the key switch. If it still has the same problem, then the problem is with the wiring to the PCM or the PCM itself.
Thanks for the Help, As soon as the problem started I switched keys hoping it was a bad key, I have the problem with both keys. I'm guessing the problem with the ignition cylinder. It seems to be a some what common problem. This even happened on my LT1 Camaro too, at least on that car the security light would stay on and I could drive it. In my LS1 Camaro it goes off and on