LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

any experience here with a Lingenfelter LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:35 AM

any experience here with a Lingenfelter LT1?

I have a clean low mile '96 Z/28 I'm undecided between selling to buy a newer Vette or putting the $$$ into Lingenfelter going over my motor for the 410 HP upgrade. I don't have the time, garage, or ability to upgrade to 400+ motor myself or know of anyone local qualified I can trust my car to. They give you a 24000/2 yr. Warranty on their work. I've always wanted a Vette and the newer LSx series are rated @ the 400 HP range stock. Anyone here with a Lingenfelter done motor?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Lingenfelter is good, but VERY expensive for what you get - $9,950 for the 410HP 355 LT1. Virtually any decent engine shop can build you a 410HP LT1 for a fraction of the Lingenfelter cost. You could get closer to 500HP at the flywheel on a stock 350, for less than what Lingenfelter charges.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 AM

LPE will deliver exactly what they claim and give you a warranty. But as was said above, it comes with a extremely high price tag.

Comes down to what you want to spend.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:18 PM

I have a 2001 Lingenfelter twin turbo Corvette, it is an incredible piece of engineering. But as stated above, anything "Lingenfelter" comes with a premium price. Decide on your budget and go from there.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM

I hear what you say about the high price/HP just for the warranty, but I don't know of any local shops with LT1 expertise like Lingenfelter. I've got the $$ put back but don't want to have to do it a couple times, or have to take it back repeatedly to get it "right". I don't want to have the "SES" lights to deal with or drive ability issues of someone that doesn't know how to tune it correctly after the mods. If anyone knows of such a shop in the Columbus OH area please let me know.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 PM

If you've got the money, go for it. They were one of the first to crank out a fast F-body. Early on, John was at the track with a 383 car he built and the Vortech crew had one with one of their superchargers on it. John's car kicked *** and the Vortech crew was bitching about it so John said, "Maybe I'll put a blower on my car" and that shut them up. He built good stuff in his time.

The only problem I see is that so many other cars are faster from the factory these days, that you are going to pay a huge amount to get what everyone else already has, and on an old car..
Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
If you've got the money, go for it. They were one of the first to crank out a fast F-body. Early on, John was at the track with a 383 car he built and the Vortech crew had one with one of their superchargers on it. John's car kicked *** and the Vortech crew was bitching about it so John said, "Maybe I'll put a blower on my car" and that shut them up. He built good stuff in his time.

The only problem I see is that so many other cars are faster from the factory these days, that you are going to pay a huge amount to get what everyone else already has, and on an old car..
not many new cars have 410+ hp from the factory, and evenless have it for 16,000 (the price of Lingenfelter upgrade and the ta.) Plus our cars look and sound better. although for a 10,000 like mentioned you can have a fairly reliable 500+ hp car, but with no warranty of course.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned

Uhh for 10 grand you better be pushing a hell of a lot more that 410 CRANK hp. That's ridiculous. The warranty is nice but you figure with the parts and work they will put into your motor to push 410 at the crank, they are probably pocketing like 5 grand off of you. 410hp is a decent amount of ponies, but you will probably get laughed at if you tell any serious driver how much you payed to get there. Not to mention you will barely be hanging with new factory camaros, mustangs, challengers, ect.

If I were you, and depending on your exact goals of course, I would build a mean 383 with that much dough. Finding a reputable mechanic or even a speed shop that has worked on LT1's shouldn't be that hard. You could have an awesome setup for 10k.

But hey, if you decide you want the Lingenfelter setup, by all means go for it. You will be one of the few that can say "I have the Lingenfelter engine package". lol
Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator

http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-p...97/350-cid-lt1

410 BHP / 385 lbs-ft of torque

Package includes:

- Engine removal, inspection and disassembly
- Lingenfelter CNC ported & polished LT1 cylinder heads
- Stainless steel 2.00" intake valves
- Stainless steel 1.56" exhaust valves
- Lingenfelter double valve springs, titanium retainers, 10 degree locks & seals
- Three angle valve job, checking of spring tensions and heights
- Lingenfelter designed Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft
- Ported and polished LT1 intake manifold
- Competition Cams High Tech stainless steel full roller rocker arms - 1.6:1 ratio
- 58 mm aluminum throttle body
- LPE engraved throttle body cover
- Professional installation, testing and tuning
- Stainless steel exhaust by Corsa
- LPE Supertube air induction kit
- Chassis dyno testing after installation
- LPE's 2 year / 24,000 mile warranty
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

1993 - 1997 Camaro / Firebird Package Price - $9,949.00

Includes automatic transmission shift improvements. Some applications may benefit from a higher stall torque converter. Please ask your salesperson for details and prices.

50 state emission legal 1993-1997 EO # D-333-13 & D333-16

Normal installation time required: 2 weeks with prior notification.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Lingenfelter is good, but VERY expensive for what you get - $9,950 for the 410HP 355 LT1. Virtually any decent engine shop can build you a 410HP LT1 for a fraction of the Lingenfelter cost. You could get closer to 500HP at the flywheel on a stock 350, for less than what Lingenfelter charges.
X2

Rich
Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 PM

If you think about what you get for the LPE deal it's not that bad....

the 355 package gets you a rebuilt bottom end, H/C/I, plus a Corsa exhaust just to name a few. On top of it, it comes with a 2yr/24K mile warranty....

You could spend less with a machine shop, but how many are going to toss in the Corsa and a warranty?? That's what would draw me, the warranty....

just my $.02
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 AM

You could build a 450 rwhp 383 for $6,000 or under depending on part selection and put the other $3,000 toward other goodies like suspension or drivetrain parts and a good dyno tune. Have a shop do the work to your block, have LE do your heads/intake/cam and then put it all back together yourself and save you some cash.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 AM

Who cares about a 2 year warranty on a 410 CRANK horsepower motor? That's an extremely mild build and anyone who pays 10k for it is not going to beat on it anyway, IMO. You could have a powerful H/C/I engine built, blow it up, and then build a stroker out of it and still come in at less than what Lingenfelter charges. However, if you have the cash do burn please do so. Someone has to make money in this economy.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Can you just buy the engine from LPE without the exhaust, and do your own install and tune? If so, I would think it would be much cheaper.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM

You are paying premiums not only for name and warranty as mentioned but also for installation and C.A.R.B approval a couple things the rest of us don't bother worrying about.

People often under quote prices too like the guy who said you could have a 450rwhp 383 for $6000, he is forgetting about the fuel system upgrades, CAI, exhaust to support it not to mention the tranny and suspension work to use it, reality would be double that number, then add some more.

There is a one man shop in Dayton Ohio that while more popular with Impala owners I am sure could help you. His own naturally aspirated Impala run 10.5 in the quarter, lightened and admittedly a racecar but not a gutted tub by any means, VERY nice car.
PM me if you want contact info.

Quick Reply: any experience here with a Lingenfelter LT1?