LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rebuilding the Lt-1 from 0 ... Where do i begin ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:20 PM

Unhappy Rebuilding the Lt-1 from 0 ... Where do i begin ?

Where do i start .... Well i am almost ashamed to say it, this is a project that has been going on for over a decade (yes, i know ... it's sad).
In 2002 i purchased myself an used Lt-1 engine (believe it was a 94) with the T56 Tranny.
I took that badboy apart to every nut and bolt nearly a decade ago in order to rebuild it using fresh pistons, crankshaft, bearings, electric waterpump, oilpump, cloyes dual chain, injectors, gaskets, the whole 9 yards.
I bought a book that explained how to take it apart, and eventhough it wasn't as detailed as i'd hoped for (they seem to skip parts) i managed.

Now, The bare block is wrapped in plastic next to my bed ever since and i got a closet full of new parts and some under my bed for many many years.
I was deployed for several tours to the desert and had different priorities and this project was almost forgotten.
In the Year 2015 i want to put the engine back together and finally install it in my 1995 Camaro, i figured it would make a perfect 20th anniversary gift.

The BIG QUESTION:

Is there ANYBODY here that has plenty of experience in order to help me put it back together ?
I don't know where to start as the book wasn't really detailed and they only describe how to tear it apart.
Assembly isn't always best (in my experience) to do that in the exact reverse order.
So who can dream the Lt-1 from front to back and give me detailed guidelines or point me to a website that has a detailed guideline ?

Also, i can imagine A LOT has changed in the last 10 years, and i wonder if you guys advise certain modifications, especially now that i'm rebuilding ... For instance keep the Opti or go another route ? (read about some LS1 multiple coil setup that eliminates the opti).

Once more, it's been so long i have no clue where to start.
I figure i put it on my engine stand and clean the bare block first and then ........

Thank you for your time and patience.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Re: Rebuilding the Lt-1 from 0 ... Where do i begin ?

What is the name of the book you found unsatisfactory?

There are free downloads of factory shop manuals available. Have you got one of those?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What is the name of the book you found unsatisfactory?

There are free downloads of factory shop manuals available. Have you got one of those?
It's from HP BOOKS. how to rebuild a Lt1/Ltd.
I found them to rush certain parts, as if certain steps were common knowledge so they were left out.

I have the thick manuals from the dealership (green white) but these always go into specific detail, for instance remove camshaft , remove optispark but to build a block from nothing you have to combine many of these individual steps and I am sure I will overlook something.

For the record, I am not new to building engines and I am not lazy. I just wish to build it myself (gives me great pleasure) instead of having it build ($$$$) and therefore I just need somebody who can back me up along the way while I use the book and the manuals (great technical specs, torque settings, etc).

P.s. I don't have the manuals in digital format, that would be great handy.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 PM

Not sure if we're talking about the same book Sergio, but I found the HP book on rebuilding the LT1/LT4 really well done. I referenced quite often in my project.
Rob
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Administrator

If you are an experienced engine builder, I would think you could fill in what you perceive as missing steps in the Rebuilding The LT1/LT4 book. Alternatively, take it step by step through the procedure in the book, and when you get to something you feel is missing, incomplete, or incorrect, post a specific question here. Would seem like much better chance of completing the project, rather than expect someone to prepare a complete, detailed rebuild procedure of the same magnitude of the book, in a series of posts.

This is the first time I have heard a significant crticism of the rebuild book.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 PM

With this book and the shop manuals, I don't see how you could be wanting for much info. Maybe asking specific questions on what is tripping you up would help.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM

I compared the book and it's identical, BUT i now noticed why it was giving me a hard time.
There are in total 3 pages missing
I bought it used back then and apart from some grease smudges it seemed fine, but it clearly wasn't.
Weird that i never noticed that before

Gonna order myself another copy, they can still be found on Ebay.

That is going to make a difference i suppose and in conjunction with the shop manuals and the information here i should be fine.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 PM

I'm still laughing visualizing this

The bare block is wrapped in plastic next to my bed ever since

was that a chick magnet or what eh?

good luck man
Old 10-28-2015, 11:07 PM

The LT1 block will go back together much like a GenI SBC . The rebuilding LT1 book fills in where there are differences.
My first step would be to have the block checked, honed and cleaned. You won't be doing that yourself, at the same time have them throw in new cam bearings. As far as the crank, pistons/rods, cam insertion, that's all per GenI SBC.
You mention modifications.. What's your budget? What do you want when you're done?
Myself, I'm currently building a LT1 383 to replace my stock LT1. I want more power but I don't want a crazy cam and nearly unstreetable car so I'm on the milder side of things. Others like more wild.
Another insteresting read is "How to make max Power LT1/LT4" produced by the same company that made the rebuilding LT1 book.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:10 PM

Note that this thread was suddenly awakened for some reason from a 9 month slumber.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Administrator

When I see these old threads rise from the ashes, I check to see the last time the person who started the thread signed in. In this case Sergio hasn't signed in since March.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 PM

Didn't sign in for some time indeed. I took some time to collect all my parts from all the places i had stored stuff over all those years.

Turns out i can't find my damn pistons and rods, they were in 1 package and it should be somewhere.
I guess the engine won't run very well without them

Please bear with me, i will rise from the ashes again... Kinda like a Phoenix.