LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Rear Main Seal Removal questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 07:38 PM

Rear Main Seal Removal questions.

I am in the process of removing my rear main seal so I can remove the crankshaft and I am unable to dislodge it.

It says to tap with a plastic hammer in my book, however this method is not working and I do NOT want to break anything.

I looked on shoebox's website but I was only able to find an image of the rear main.

How does the seal remove? I have removed the nut on the right hand side going horizontal and the bolt on the left side going horizontal. Is there something that I have to do with those studs in order to remove the rear main?

Here is the pic off of shoebox's site.

http://shbox.com/1/rear_main.jpg

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:59 PM

Re: Rear Main Seal Removal questions.

If you are trying to remove the crank, you do mean that you're trying to remove the rear main seal housing, right? The rear main seal is inside the housing and keeps the oil on the inside.

If you have taken out all the bolts, it should slide rearward. There is a gasket between the housing and the block, and if it gets stuck, you might need to tap it a little.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:00 PM

There's Six bolts/studs holding the housing in place. Four on the front, and one on either side facing vertical (oil pan). Just tap it lightly with a deadblow hammer, it'll pop loose and it'll slide/pry off
Old 09-30-2004, 08:02 PM

Im in the process of rebuilding my engine so I am tearing it down now so I can send the block to the shop. Right after I posted this I looked at shoebox's picture a little more and noticed that there were 2 bolts on the very bottom. I am going to try and remove those.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Im tired from working on this damn thing for the past couple days and I am starting to overlook things.

I am going to run to the store and get some beer and relax after this removal. I will be done for a bit until the machine shop does it's thing.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silvershark
Im in the process of rebuilding my engine so I am tearing it down now so I can send the block to the shop. Right after I posted this I looked at shoebox's picture a little more and noticed that there were 2 bolts on the very bottom. I am going to try and remove those.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Im tired from working on this damn thing for the past couple days and I am starting to overlook things.

I am going to run to the store and get some beer and relax after this removal. I will be done for a bit until the machine shop does it's thing.
It helps if you take them all out.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:44 PM

Well, I am done for a while.

http://www.akgaming.com/videos/engine.WMV
Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 PM

proud of your build i can tell .. just take your time and do it once. mine looks the same right now as yours.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
There's Six bolts/studs holding the housing in place. Four on the front, and one on either side facing vertical (oil pan). Just tap it lightly with a deadblow hammer, it'll pop loose and it'll slide/pry off
4 fasteners hold the housing to the block. The 2 studs on the housing are to fasten the rear of the oil pan to it.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:44 PM

Yup, hopefully when I get paid tomorrow I can get this thing all machined and ready to rock and roll. It's taken me a month so far just to get it where its at. I like to remove a little here and a little there and then go inside and work on it another day. If I would have worked on it straight I prolly could have had it done in 3-4 days for sure. But where is the fun in that?