LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ported lt1 intake results?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 PM

ported lt1 intake results?

anyone have any or ever post an results from a stock to a ported lt1 intake on say a full bolt on heads cam lt1 before? please share if you know where this info can be found... thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM

Golen Engine's is reported to have nailed the porting of a LT1 intake. Others may have, too, but I've only read the reference to Golen.

You could call them and see what's what. Don't know if it's posted on their website.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 03:34 PM

I've heard alot of talk about gains from ported intakes. But, yet to see any documented results.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stl94LT1
I've heard alot of talk about gains from ported intakes. But, yet to see any documented results.
Yep, me either. What we need is back-to-back before and after dyno results.

At first I was going to recommend Golen to get what numbers they came up with, but they might not be as objective as others would be. Not that I automatically distrust what they'd tell me, I just prefer someone independent test done by someone with no Dog in the Fight.

The article I read was very positive on their work, but, alas (LOL) no numbers were given. Just how many hours they put into the porting, the care that was given, etc.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:26 PM

I have an AI ported manifold but no before dyno with this combo. However, factory intake flows pretty darn well so I really did not expect much of a gain over stock at my build level.
however, it sure looked pretty and this combo has great street manners
Name:  DSC01309.jpg
Views: 3558
Size:  48.6 KB

IMO talk with your porter and ask him....In my case I was told the stock intake would suffice for my goals but their street strip porting would be worth some power.
However, I'm good to go if I ever want MORE power and build a hairier low end or bigger cam.

If you really want a comparison send me a stock intake/throttle body and a couple of hundred bucks for the dyno time and I'll eat the labor and gaskets for back to back swaps.

However, I believe the only results that matter are what happens on your car.

Mike
Old 12-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I have an AI ported manifold but no before dyno with this combo. However, factory intake flows pretty darn well so I really did not expect much of a gain over stock at my build level.

IMO talk with your porter and ask him....In my case I was told the stock intake would suffice for my goals but their street strip porting would be worth some power.
However, I'm good to go if I ever want MORE power and build a hairier low end or bigger cam.

If you really want a comparison send me a stock intake/throttle body and a couple of hundred bucks for the dyno time and I'll eat the labor and gaskets for back to back swaps.

Mike
Wish I had 'em laying around or I'd take you up on that excellent offer if I could split the dyno cost with someone.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Mike
is your mani ported for a monoblade tb?

Last edited by c5formula; 12-20-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 PM

I remember a thread where Tony Mamo of AFR rework an LT1 intake manifold and the results were quite good. I doubt if he does that on a regular basis though.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by c5formula
is your mani ported for a monoblade tb?
Yes,
Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Yes,
damn an that hump with the hole doesnt hit the tb blade when it opens?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM

damn an that hump with the hole doesnt hit the tb blade when it opens?
The top of the blade moves inward when the throttle opens....it would have to go past fullope to hit that passageway
Old 12-20-2009, 06:02 PM

Why do you need that "hump" in the intake? Just wondering because I got rid of all the center section when I did my L-98 plenum porting.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1989TransAm
Why do you need that "hump" in the intake? Just wondering because I got rid of all the center section when I did my L-98 plenum porting.
That hump feeds each port with air from the IAC motor . There are holes in each runner about 6mm in diameter .
Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 PM
sbs

anyone have any or ever post an results from a stock to a ported lt1 intake on say a full bolt on heads cam lt1 before? please share if you know where this info can be found... thanks
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...07&postcount=5

If you search the archives of the various LTx forums, you'll find similar numbers (10-20 RWHP) quoted by the other folks who do this for a living. Not sure I've ever seen a dyno sheet, though.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Another Red Z
That hump feeds each port with air from the IAC motor . There are holes in each runner about 6mm in diameter .
how important is this "hump" as i removed mine too an my car seemed to run a lil rougher since then?

Quick Reply: ported lt1 intake results?