LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Please please help me !!!! Confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:23 PM

Please please help me !!!! Confused

Hi. I need a little HELP!! My husband was going to replace the water pump in my 1994 Camaro Z28 5.7 and the water pump crank pully broke that is mounted to the block. In order to fix it he was told that the optispark timing chain cover and timing chain had to be removed to replace that part. Now I need to know I need to know EVERYTHING that I need to purchase in order to put it all back together, he is also having difficulty finding the water pump shaft at the local auto parts store. This is my only form of transportantion. Please HELP ME!! I have to buy everything asap, and I'm on a fixed income. I need a list of parts and any suggestions on how he needs to go about putting everything back together. I SO appreciate your help
Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Re: Please please help me !!!! Confused

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com. We're here to help.

First thing to do - I'll move your post to the correct forum. Right now you're in the "5th Gen" (2010-current) section, so we'll move the post to "LT1 Based Engine Tech".... that will cover the problems with his 1994 Z28.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM

Most of the steps needed to do the work are covered in my cam removal/install guides on my website (shbox.com).

The coupler is probably going to be a dealer item only. What is needed is going to be dependent on what is found broken.

In addition to some of the diagrams on my site, here is one from a random online GM dealer with some part number info.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Administrator

First, let's pin down the exact problem. There is no pulley for the water pump, and it is not driven by the crankshaft.

Appears the part that failed is the geared drive shaft that is supported in the rear by the front of the block, and couples to the splined shaft on the water pump to drive it. That geared shaft is driven off a gear on the back of the cam gear (crank gear is not involved at all).

Courtesy of Shoebox

Please confirm that is the part that failed, and that he needs to replace. Note that Shoebox's diagram has the part #'s added.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:43 PM

I really want to thank EVERYONE for all the advice and help. I need to show my husband because I know not alot about all the exacts. I am not good with forums and how to work on new technology so this is all new to me and I want to say THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH, I need my car so bad.....your all AWESOME and as soon as he gets home I will show him everything. Have a blessed day!!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Keep the questions coming!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:50 PM

Part 63 is, what is broke. I have removed the water pump in doing so part 63 broke. So I removed the optispark , timing chain cover, and timing chain. Now it's time to replace everything. I can't find this part. Can anyone tell me where I can get this part or maybe someone here may have one to sell. My wife started this post and I thank her and this group. Please if anyone can help me with this part I am pretty much begging. My poor wife has been withOut car for a while now. I am doing the best I can and this is holding me up. Thanks. I normally would not do this but I am giving my number out, so I can be contacted faster via text or just call if someone has the part. Thank you 2705050475.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Egh thats a discontinued part. Your local gm parts dealer may have some luck tracking down a new one, but ebay also yielded some positive results for that part. did a quick part number search and came up with a bunch of new ones. 10219554 WATER PUMP DRIVE SHAFT 92 97 4 3 5 7 GM LT1 | eBay
Old 05-27-2014, 07:24 AM

Carrie, if you can't find one for a reasonable price, I think that I have a used one somewhere in my shop that you are welcome to have for free. If you need it, I'll be happy to mail it out. I'm in Southern California so shipping may take an extra day or so.

PM me if you want it.

c
Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 AM

Part shipped via USPS on 5/29/14.
Tracking # sent via PM on 5/29/2014.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Administrator

D@mn.... 4 days and problem solved!!! It gives me some hope that we can keep this site alive.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 PM

It only takes good people and this site has plenty of them!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Ok. Got the part Awesome! And thank you so very much. So here I am ready to put this bad boy on , but ran into a small problem. The part looks brand new and barrings are attached so i do not want to separate this new part. So is there a special tool that is needed to remove the old barrings or special technique to remove it? Almost there I am so excited to put it all back together. One more thing you guys ROCK! THIS GROUP HAS DONE MORE FOR ME THAN PEPBOYS, AUTOZONE, ADVANCED AUTO. really .. and thank you.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Administrator

To remove the driveshaft/gear/bearing assembly, you remove the two bolts that hold it against the front of the block, and it should pull right out. The new one should be left as a complete assembly, and inserted in the hole in the block, and the bolts replaced. I would carefully clean the hole in the block out, to avoid corrosion or sludge that may inhibit inserting the assembly.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:53 PM

It should pull right out but often it is in rather tightly. I had to tap two of them out (two different blocks) using a drift and a hammer from inside the valley. Wasn't a big deal...it just adds time to the job.

Quick Reply: Please please help me !!!! Confused