LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Performance upgrade questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Performance upgrade questions.

I'm looking to get a decent gain in HP from my 96 SS. I dont really feel like digging into the crank for a 383 yet so hopefully some knowlegable fbody folks can point me in the right direction. As of now I have a LT1 with long tube headers, EGR AIR delete, MSD wires, MSD coil, Morosso CAI, 3.73, Cats deleted. I was thinkin Camshaft. I don't have a clue as far as Camshafts go when making good mid range power in my car. What brand? Duration and lift should I go with? Will that require me to do a throttle body and different rocker arms and springs? I really don''t know too much about valve trains. Id also like to keep my stock heads the way they are as for now too. Anyhow, fire away.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Re: Performance upgrade questions.

You will need to get 1.5 or 1.6 rr for a cam if you want to do it right. I'd call LE or AI for a cam kit that will come with the cam and springs. They will discuss the type of cam and your power goals to make you a custom ground cam for your setup. You may want to find a good tuner in your area that is the most important mod in my opinion. Don't buy a small cam either, as soon as you start to have fun with any cam you will want to go bigger. Get a 52mm TB, that's the biggest you can go with stock intake.

If you just want the mid range power a small cam would to the trick like a LT4 hot cam. This will maybe require you to up the springs and RRs.

I would buy some new lifters if I were you too. You will also need to upgrade your pustrods to to be more durable and or to aid your new lifters.

LS7 lifters are a good stock replacement but they are a different height than the stocks.

The list will go on and on. It will all depend on how deep your pockets are lol.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonz28camaro
You will need to get 1.5 or 1.6 rr for a cam if you want to do it right. I'd call LE or AI for a cam kit that will come with the cam and springs. They will discuss the type of cam and your power goals to make you a custom ground cam for your setup. You may want to find a good tuner in your area that is the most important mod in my opinion. Don't buy a small cam either, as soon as you start to have fun with any cam you will want to go bigger. Get a 52mm TB, that's the biggest you can go with stock intake.

If you just want the mid range power a small cam would to the trick like a LT4 hot cam. This will maybe require you to up the springs and RRs.

I would buy some new lifters if I were you too. You will also need to upgrade your pustrods to to be more durable and or to aid your new lifters.

LS7 lifters are a good stock replacement but they are a different height than the stocks.

The list will go on and on. It will all depend on how deep your pockets are lol.
Thanks for the help man. So a custom cam is better than an off the shelf one? Also, would I be needing bigger injectors and fuel pump? As for the tuning, I was going to be using Solomon LT1 tuning, you send em the PCM and he sends it back, loaded with the tune.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SSinister11x
Thanks for the help man. So a custom cam is better than an off the shelf one? Also, would I be needing bigger injectors and fuel pump? As for the tuning, I was going to be using Solomon LT1 tuning, you send em the PCM and he sends it back, loaded with the tune.
Mail order tunes work great and that's how I started off. Nothing beats a dyno tune though in my opinion.

Custom bring can is the way to go. They are just about the same price as one off the shelf too.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jasonz28camaro
Mail order tunes work great and that's how I started off. Nothing beats a dyno tune though in my opinion.

Custom bring can is the way to go. They are just about the same price as one off the shelf too.
How bout the fueling? Bigger injectors and pump? Is the stock regulator okay? I'm really only trying to make the car close to 400 at flywheel when all said and done.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Administrator

If all you are changing is the cam and you are looking for something mild, you won't need larger injectors or fuel pump. When you go over 350HP at the flywheel, you'll need to worry about the injectors.

I don't even attempt to get involved in "what cam" threads. But I would suggest that you continue to look over the many threads on this forum that discuss cam selection, so you can get alternative opinions.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I don't even attempt to get involved in "what cam" threads.
I think everybody has to make that mistake at least once.

My best advice is to go to some local events and find out what you like. Lots of guys have no problems with talking about the cam they chose or why they chose it and many are more than willing to take you for a ride to show off a bit. Same goes for mufflers.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If all you are changing is the cam and you are looking for something mild, you won't need larger injectors or fuel pump. When you go over 350HP at the flywheel, you'll need to worry about the injectors.

I don't even attempt to get involved in "what cam" threads. But I would suggest that you continue to look over the many threads on this forum that discuss cam selection, so you can get alternative opinions.
Okay thank ya. If I want 400 at flywheel and go bigger on the injectors, what would be a good lb injector? Would this require a different fuel pump?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 AM

42lb should be a good one for you. You can go bigger and not hurt anything and give you room to grow some, without buying new ones everytime. The injectors don't require more fuel, but the engine might want more than the stock pump feeds. Putting a better fuel pump or inline pump to supply more fuel is a good idea, when you get over 400rwhp. I try to think ahead to my future plans and upgrade accordingly. It won't hurt to make some part a little stronger or upgraded if you plan later to go bigger.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator

400HP at the flywheel (which is what you indicate is all you are looking for) requires 28 #/HR. If you are sure that's your HP limit, 32's will be fine. The stock pump will support 400 HP at the flywheel. The 32's will be good to 450HP at the flywheel.